Chapter Nineteen: Aftermath

As they reached The Base Floor Keptner heard their steps coming down the stairs, he stepped out from the kitchen area and froze when he saw Claire's condition, he stiffened and clenched his fists, "What happened?"

Grey looked over at Kept, "The young guard, he attacked her. Tried to..."

"Excuse me?" Kept walked toward them, Lucas was taken back by his change in attitude all of a sudden, he turned his attention to Claire, "Is this true?" Claire looked up at Kept, her eyes red, he could see the redness around her neck, "He won't get away with this." Lucas watched Keptner shake his head, "There is a medical hit in the bathroom, I would get her face cleaned up, let her shower, Claire I'll talk to Doctor Hines, I'm sure he will let you have the day off tomorrow."

"Thank you," Claire took a deep breath, her throat hurt, she stepped away from Lucas and made her way toward the bathroom.

"I'll help her with the cut," Grey nodded, following Claire.

Lucas crossed his arms, looking at Keptner with a confused eye, "I thought..."

"No one deserves to be treated like that," Keptner interrupted him, "I'm not heartless Lucas, you've known me for years."

"I never..." Lucas started.

"I know, but you look at me different now." Kept sighed, "I'm hard on you, I get it. You did break contract. We can't change that now. But you're going to have to build up my trust again." Lucas nodded, "I'm going to talk to Director Hansen...go help Claire."

Lucas watched as Keptner started up the stairs, "Kept..." The man turned around and looked at him, "Thank you." He nodded, going through the doorway and out of sight. 

Lucas stepped into the door frame of the bathroom, he watched as Claire was sitting on toilet seat while Grey was knelt in front of her, cleaning the blood off of her face. Once Grey noticed Lucas, he smiled and looked at Claire, patting her knee gently, "I think you're in good hands." He smiled, Claire thanked him quietly and looked up at Lucas. Grey walked toward her, "She's shaken." Grey smiled a little, "But in good spirit." Grey pressed his hand onto Lucas's shoulder before passing by him and leaving the bathroom. 

Lucas walked in, "Claire..." He watched her look up at him, a single tear raced down her cheek.

Lucas reached into the shower and turned the knob, watching water begin to flow, "I'll wait outside

Lucas reached into the shower and turned the knob, watching water begin to flow, "I'll wait outside."

"No," Claire stood up, she took a deep breath, "Please don't leave."

Lucas reached over to her, touching her face softly, looking at the small cut on her cheek, it made him angry. Claire wasted no time, she stepped into him and tucked her arms around his waist, pressing her face into his chest. Lucas wrapped his arms around her completely, holding her to him, protecting her.

After a long moment of holding her he turned around as she stripped down and stepped into the shower

After a long moment of holding her he turned around as she stripped down and stepped into the shower. The warm water made her gasp lightly, she stood under the running water for a long moment, feeling her muscles relax. She couldn't think about it, if Grey and Lucas hadn't shown up, what would have happened. When she heard Lucas cough lightly she remembered his presence, which made her feel safe. Once she was done she reached out for a towel, wrapping it around her and stepping out into the bathroom which filled with steam. Lucas looked over at her, her pale skin dripping, she had wet air pressed to her face as she looked over at him. Lucas smiled, she shrugged, "What?"

"Nothing," He shook his head, this wasn't the time, "Come on, I have pajamas in my rooms."

Claire and Lucas walked down the hall and stepped into Lucas's room. It didn't take long for him to pull a t-shirt and pants out of his drawer, he held them out to her and let her take them before turning around politely and letting her change. Claire pulled her undergarments back on and made a mental note to grab some clothes from The Swap Room. As she pulled on his shirt she smiled, imagining how this could be anywhere else. Back in the city, she could be standing in his apartment with everything around them still standing. It felt good to picture that, especially after everything that happened today. 

Claire and Lucas turned to face the door as they heard it opening, Claire looked over to Lucas, he returned the gaze, noticing she hadn't put the lounge pants on yet. The door opened and Director Hansen was standing there was two guards, Keptner was behind them, his face like stone. "Hey! Can't you knock?"

Claire looked over to Hansen who pointed at Lucas, "Take him."

"What?!?" Lucas and Claire said in unison, the guards walked in and grabbed Lucas by each arm, dragging him out of the room and into the hallway. Claire ran out after him, but Keptner grabbed her gently by the arm, "What is happening?" She asked.

"Lucas attacked one of my guards," Hansen answered, "He's going to be questioned."

"Only after your guard assaulted me!" Claire pulled from Keptner's grasp but he wouldn't let go.

"That, Ms. Anderson, is up for debate." Hansen looked her way, "From the story Jake told me, you assaulted him."

"Are you kidding me?!" Lucas almost growled, "He attacked her!"

"We're going to find that out," Hansen looked at Keptner, "Bring her in an hour, she will be questioned too."

Lucas watched Claire fight against Kept's hold, he glared at Keptner, feeling more than betrayed.