Chapter 20

It's Sunday, so as promised, I have chapter 20 out!  Hope you enjoy!

◇◇◇◇◇◇

"What do you mean he ran off?" Ariana frowned at her husband. She didn't care that they were in the middle of the throne room. "What on earth did you say to him that made him so upset?"

"It wasn't exactly what I said," Fredric explained slowly. "More of... what I did..."

"What did you do?" Ariana asked slowly, her stomach suddenly turning cold.

Before the king could answer, Stan came into the room. "Your highness, we have this urgent message that was given to us by a mysterious, suspicious looking figure in a cloak. It's addressed to you."

"I see..." Fredric broke the seal and opened. Upon reading it, he put in Ariana's hands before storming off. "Stan, gather the guard, we need a meeting, now."

Ariana gasped when she read it. "Fredric, we can't just storm over there, they have Varian. They could hurt him."

"Which is why we need the meeting. Stan, get Cassandra, she will want to be present."

"Yes, sir!" Stan answered before hurrying off to get Cassandra out of the dungeons.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Varian tried to free his wrists from the bonds that tied his hands behind his back. Not that he planned that he could do anything at the moment, but he felt like he'd be more self secure without them. Feel a little bit in more control of the situation.

As Caine had said, he had a lot of curiosity. Considering that it was either cower and hide in a corner or explore within the view of his captors, he chose the latter. His past self might have chosen the first option, but as he had said. People change. For better or worse.

Of course, exploring wasn't the easiest thing to do when your hands were tied behind your back. He managed to come across an old painting with a sheet over it. He somehow was able to get sheet off. He tilted his head as he stared at it.

There was a large man with broad shoulders and dark hair. His eyes were holding a fondness that he hadn't seen in someone before. He must have been the mayor. There was a woman next to him, probably the man's wife. Her eyes were closed, but she was smiling. Her auburn red hair was tied back in a bun. What caught his attention the most was what they were holding. There was a baby with black hair and bright, round, blue eyes. Most babies had blue eyes if what Ariana had told him was true, but it was something about them that reminded him of him. There was a blue streak in the baby's hair. "What?"

"Kid, what you doing?" The man that had pointed a sword at him earlier called.

"J-just looking!" Varian stuttered, turning his gaze away from the portrait. It was creeping him out. Why on earth did that baby have blue hair like him? Unless... no. Surely not.

"You're straying too far," the man huffed.

Varian looked back at the picture rolling his eyes. Then he turned back and sat down on a chair. He looked at Caine. "What is the plan?"

She laughed. "I'm not stupid. I'm not gonna monologue my entire plan to you. Surely you're smarter than that?"

"That's not what I meant. I meant why."

"You know why," she huffed. "You, of all people, should understand. He has done nothing but ignore and abuse you."

"I get why you're mad, believe me," Varian answered. "But you're hurting more than him. You're hurting Rapunzel. She didn't do anything to deserve to be hurt. Cass is innocent, and the Queen has done nothing for your hate. By doing this, you're hurting the people of Corona, people who are innocent. People who were victims. You're hurting me," he reasoned.