POV: Finn

*WARNING: mentions lots of Finn's dead name for backstory reasons *

Growing up in an orphanage wasn't always easy.. The days get boring, the nights get lonely..And you're always just looking at couples coming in desperately wishing they would pick you.

This wasn't something a kid my age should have to look forward to..We should be looking forward to toys or money or whatever kids like..Not wanting a parent.

My birth mom, Olivia, was a teen mom when she gave me up..She didn't do it just because she wanted a better life for me or anything like other teen moms with souls do..

....She did it because she didn't want me.

I knew a little bit about her because one of the workers at the Orphanage, Miley, used to talk about her a lot to me. She told me that her parents were very religious people and didn't want her to get an abortion...Frankly, Olivia didn't want me either..But who could blame her? She was just a teen.

...Still, the thought of your own birth mother not wanting anything to do with you..really stung.

So as the years went on..I waited and waited and waited, for a couple who would take me in...Maybe even accept me..

I was around 8 when I knew I was, in fact, non binary..I just didn't know the name for it..or pronouns I wanted to go by..Since we didn't really have any phones I couldn't quite educate myself. Miley would help educate me now and then..But still..I was trying to explore some things about myself.

...Although, I did have a name picked out for myself.

"Miss Miley..Why can't the others call me Finn?" I asked as Miley helped me get ready for bed. Miley turned to me with a soft smile, "I really wish I could let you Finn but..The Orphanage wouldn't allow it, considering we can't change your name and it will confuse couples that try to adopt you and see your file."

I crossed my legs as I hopped into bed, "Well, why can't you adopt me? You act like a mother to me anyways!" I smiled. Miley laughed a bit, "I can't do that silly, I wish I could but I can't..I still do school and taking in a child is something I'm not ready for."

I sighed as I went under the covers "...Do you...Do you think there's someone out there who will love me?"

Miley looked at me with hopeful eyes, "Of course there's someone out there who will love you..Maybe even two! You just gotta keep your hopes up, okay?"

I smiled. I believed Miley..She was always right about certain things..

...And exactly that night of what she said came true.

I remembered it so clearly..I was 11 at the time, just sitting at one of the mini tables, coloring while the other kids just played out in the mini field we had. I heard people come in but I didn't think much of it.

It wasn't until I heard my 'name' pop into the conversation.

"Oh! That's Mia, would you like to meet her?" I heard Miley say. I didn't wanna look up, thinking it was just some other couple that might just take me in and once I told them they'd kick me out like the last few ones.