Chapter 3

The overcast view currently in front of me wasn't nearly as spectacular as the one with Mason that night. It was crazy to think that I haven't seen the people that I call my best friends for five years. Despite the sadness and disorientation, I couldn't help but get somewhat excited to see all of my friends together again. I knew that there might be some discomfort surrounding certain people but the thought of us, being US again made a smile creep its way onto my face. Even in the worst possible situation, there was a light through the darkness.

I rummaged through the fridge, trying to salvage any leftovers, no such luck. With a huff, I grabbed the truck keys laying in the fish-shaped, dish next to the door. My dad's old GMC was rusting near the rims and had trouble starting in the winter. But Lazy Sue was nothing but good times, filled with happy memories. My dad taught me how to drive stick, change a tire, and oil. Lazy Sue probably had around fifteen years on me and held so many memories.

I threw my tote bag into the back seat and smiled as an embarrassing memory flooded my mind. I was fifteen, and I had just learned how to drive. It was an exciting time. There was a boy in my grade I had known for years- Tyler. He had a small crush on me, and my feelings for him were mutual. I once picked him up once after his baseball practice, planning to hang out back at my house. Luckily, I had anticipated that my dad would be out volunteering at the church, giving us some alone time. Not sure why at fifteen I was thinking that I needed alone time with Tyler Branshaw, but back then, I considered it a great idea. Somehow, Tyler shared the same hope, and we ended up in the backseat of Lazy Sue, where I had my first kiss. It was awful; Tyler smelled and tasted like sweat. And, of course, with my luck, dad came home early. He had gotten a ride from Mason's parents. He must have noticed the lack of lights in the house and saw the dim glow in Lazy Sue. If I wasn't so involved with Tyler, I would have probably heard the crunch of my father's footsteps on the gravel. He rumbled the door handle open and saw Tyler and me in a peculiar position. My embarrassment went through the roof,  and Tyler's face turned as white as a ghost. The stern look on my father's face must have brought on a level of uncertainty to Tyler, leading him to apologize profusely.

Needless to say, we didn't hang out again. At the moment, I had thought my life was over. It's funny how things can seem so overwhelming disastrous at the moment. I puttered into the parking lot of the local grocery store. As I collected my bag, I didn't bother to roll my windows back up or lock the doors. Wakefield was such a small town; everyone knew each other, crime was irrelevant. My phone vibrated with a notification. Eli Beeli's contact name popped up on the screen. Without hesitation, I clicked on the voice message.

"Hey, Rory, I'm so sad to hear the news. I can't believe this! It must be a really hard time for you right now. I'm currently booking my flight. I won't be staying at mom and dad's, so I'm going to be at the Motel 6, it's not too far. Plus, I hope this doesn't seem inappropriate, but I wanted my boyfriend to meet all of you guys. I love you so much, Sunshine. We'll all help you get through this don't worry."

The news of Eli having a boyfriend really took me by surprise. I guess even in the age of multimedia, you could still have some privacy. Although I was still shocked that he never posted a single picture; after all, his taste in men is superior. I walked through the sliding doors to be greeted by a gush of air conditioning that felt amazing against my hot, sticky, skin. I noticed Mary Lu at the till. The lady has worked here all my life. I waved briefly at her and smiled as I picked up a basket. I went through the stocked aisles,  picking up boxed pasta, premade sauce, some chicken breasts, fruits, and vegetables. I wasn't much of a cook, but I was growing sick of easy TV-dinner meals. Thankfully, it was the middle of the day, and the store was relatively empty.

"Aurora Skinner? Honey!" I tried to hide behind a shelf. "You poor thing, come out". I sighed; like I said, Wakefield is a small town, everyone knows everyone. As I peaked out, a box of lentils fell on my head in the process. "Ouch, fuck", I whispered. I had hardly made it to the counter when I was stopped by Marge and strangled into a hug. Regrettably, I let Marge have her way, and not long after her sister joined in and gave her condolence. Mary Lu and Marge were sisters that owned the little market. I guess I hadn't made much of an effort to get my own groceries in the last little while. "You know love, your dad was a terrific man and he'll be missed dearly." Awkwardly, I nodded. I stood there uncomfortable as they gave me their sincere smiles. God, get me out of here; it felt like hours rather than seconds that ticked by.