Chapter 9

After dinner, we played a disastrous game of charades. It was quite humorous to see Mason try to recreate a scene from Titanic.

We all sat on the couch, sipping drinks, laughing at Mace, who attempted to reenact Jack Dawson's drowning scene. But it made no sense.

 " Are you a scuba diver?" Ivy shouted.

 "Your, dead! Mason, are you playing dead?" I screamed.

 He tried to do the famous pose at the bow of the boat but alone he just looked like he was pretending to fly. 

"Y'all come one!" He stressed, by now he was red in the face and sweaty.

"Draw me like one of your French girls" He sighed in an obnoxious girly voice.

After two hours of laughing at our ridiculous attempts of charades. (I was sure I would have abs after by the end of the night ). Ivy had bid her goodbye and promised to swing by the house tomorrow. But she had to deal with her family. Now Mason could have his own place to sleep. The thought of being alone again made me frown. I still couldn't get past that he told my dad that he wanted to marry me. I mean five years ago may not be much. But for some fucked up reason I still get butterflies thinking about it.

As I passed the bathroom on my way to my room, I heard something coming from the bathroom door. Pressing my ear against the white door I heard a gagging noise.

"Hey, are you okay?" I wasn't sure if it was Mason or Emily. Just then, the familiar creak of the rocking chair brought my attention towards the front porch. I saw the back Maces' cowboy hat; he was sitting outside, lighting a cigar. 

"Em?"

 My nose twisted at the vomiting noise, from the other side of the door. "I'm coming in Emmy." I pushed on the door softly. Emily sat with her arms on the seat of the toilet, her hair a mess. Without speaking, I reached into the vanity and got a fresh washcloth. Once it was damp, I placed it on her neck; just like Mason had done for me previously last night.

"Hey, what's up Em?" I drew circles on her back. She pushed away from her spot and threw her head back. Her cheeks were scarred with tears. And her breathing came in gasps. Her manicured nails ran through her tangled hair. Okay, this was freaking me out, what the hell was going on? I sat beside her. It was funny how I've been ending my days on the bathroom floor lately. Emily's side profile showed off her puffy eyes and red snotty nose. I frowned.

"What's up Em? You can talk to me."

I stared at her intensely, taking in her watery, big, blues.

"I-I think I'm pregnant."

I tried not to let my face show any shock, but her slim figure showed nothing.

"My-my period. It's be-been late, haven't gotten it for the past two months."

I couldn't help it, but my eyes widened.

"I've had morning sickness for a while now. And I guess now I randomly get nauseous."

"I'm scared, Rory, really scared."

I nodded; I couldn't believe she was going through this on her own. I mean she was on her own for this right? Maybe she had someone back home.

"Have you taken a test?" For some reason, I was holding my breath.

"Not yet, but I know I should." I slowly shook my head yes.

"We can get one tomorrow!" I said trying to be enthusiastic.

"I can't do that, not in a town like this. I go into the only drugstore in Wakefield, to buy a pregnancy test. Word will get out faster than you can imagine". Unfortunately, that was true.