Chapter 20

Three months later

"Oh, look who's here! Em! It's Rory!". I laugh as Ivy swallowed me into a breathless hug.

"Geez Ivy, you are going to kill her, at least let her through the door before you strangle her."

I faked a pout at Emily who looks about eight times bigger than the last time I saw her.

"Wow Emmy, the pregnancy hormones are really doing a good one on you aren't they", I teased. She giggled and gave me a side hug, so her beach ball belly wouldn't divide us. She looked just as amazing or even better with a hint of pregnancy glow. Emily wore a tight white long sleeve dress that showed off her soon to be motherly figure.

"Come on I have lots of snacks! And I want you to meet some friends." I nodded at her eagerness. It was the first time I've been to Emily's apartment and it was a perfect representation of her, crisp and clean cut. I wondered how long the light grey couches would last with a newborn. I smiled and soaked up the pink and blue decorations. Four framed pictures caught my attention in her hallway, two of them were of the gang. One was from high school where we were all smiling like dorks and the second was from the last time everyone was together at dad's house.

"Rory, by the time you get over here I could give birth." I rolled my eyes as she waved me over. Em ended up introducing me to everyone else in the room. Seven friends from her dance company, who all shared similar physiques, and two classmates from her night course. They were all very kind; I could see why Em was friends with them, she always did surround herself with positive people.

I noticed a tall figure standing behind the kitchen island, his back towards us. Sucking in a breath I stalked towards him.

"Hey," I said unsteadily. Nervous butterflies fluttered in my stomach. Subconsciously I wiped my hands down the side of my black satin skirt.

Mason turned around his eyes widened. "Sunshine", his words were breathless.

He looked handsome as ever in his effortless black button-down and jeans. The cuffs of his sleeve were rolled to his elbows showing off the veins in his forearms. He interrupted my thoughts and clobbered me in a hug.

The time I last saw Mason he confessed his love to me. We managed to call and text more often than in the past, but we hardly touched on the sensitive subject. And now in front of me was the 6'3, 200 pound, muscular man. A lot has changed since we last saw each other in person.

"I missed you", he breathed into my hair.

"I missed you too Mace", and it was true, I felt lost without him.

"Come on we have to talk," he reached out for my hand and grasped it with his massive one.

We walked into Emily's bedroom that was comprised of a bed in the middle of the room ( with the fluffiest white duvet I've ever seen), a vanity, and a few spare plants. Mason sat down on the bed looking out of place in the frosty room. Gingerly I sat beside him, leaving enough room so our bodies didn't touch.

"How've you been?" His voice was genuine as he cocked his head to the side.

"I've been doing pretty well actually. I took your advice and sold the farm." My words shocked him. I nodded biting my lip, it was hard for me to keep that a secret.

"No way".

I laughed at his stunned expression, "the farm was dad's dream, not mine. And I sold it to a family with young kids, people they could pass it down to, generationally." I paused. "I also sold the house, to the same family. It made me really happy to see the kids there. I loved that house just as much as my father, but after he passed, I wasn't happy there anymore. I know that all he wanted for that house was for it to be properly looked after and enjoyed. And I know the Andersons will do a great job; they still keep in touch here and there,  updating me."