Nine

This is the chapter I reveal what happened that fateful summer Dylan met Jake. :) 

Wow. I suck at filler chapters :PP Sorry about that :>

Nine

#Dylan

It was 7:01 a.m. on a Sunday. I have been on stand-by the entire Saturday. Jake calls me practically every hour. Apparently, this girl who won him at the auction was different and he needed my help. He hadn't even planned the date yet so he had me, his personal assistant reserving restaurants, sending flowers and stuff. He stopped calling at around 8:00 in the evening so I could only assume that he got laid. I woke up hours ago and I was expecting a call from Jake anytime now. The time alotted for the winning bidder ended a minute ago and I have no idea why I'm expecting a call now. They're probably still asleep having stayed up all night doing who knows what.

Kyle, on the other hand, went home at 5 yesterday, with the excuse that he wasn't feeling too well, but I know better. The girl who won him at the auction wasn't exactly attractive and was even known for having a reputation with the guys. My brother refuses to be another notch on this girl's bedpost.

Which explains why he was on my case about bidding on Jake.

"You wanted to go on a date with Jakey?" he teased last night.

"No, of course not!" I had told him. "I just didn't want him to embarrass himself in case no one goes and bids on him. I was actually doing him a favor back there."

It was pathetic. And Kyle saw right through it.

"Right. Like that's even possible!" Kyle had said before going up to his room.

I sighed and checked my cell for the dozenth time. Still no Jake.

I was reminded of the week after summer camp, when I knew Jake would never call but a part of me waited anyway.

It was amazing how far we've gone, Jake and I. Two months ago he was a phantom, just Jake From the Soccer Field. Now, he was my best friend, the guy I swear I spend most of my waking moments with, the guy who knows more about than my best friend Meg.

 ...

It was one of the most beautiful summers that I remember. The fourteen-year old Dylan was angry because I was stuck in Chess Camp, but there was nothing I could do about it. I brought this horrible fate upon myself. I was alone and it was hot and I was sweating and surrounded by a bunch of geeks! They were already talking to one another about knights and pawns and I could tell that this was going to be one long summer... until a certain blonde haired boy stepped down from the bus and yawned. Our eyes met for a second and I was captivated by those deep blue eyes of his. 

I was roommates with this girl named Sally who played the clarinet when she was bored which was half the time she wasn't playing Chess. Although I never predicted to make friends with any of these geeky girls since all they ever did was play computer games, read books, and play chess, I soon found myself finding friends in them. Actually, I could be myself around them and they wouldn't judge me for it.

One afternoon, I had this crazy idea of playing Truth or Dare with nerds. I spun the bottle and it landed on my this girl Brianna who hadn't played Truth or Dare until then. Seriously, what did these girls do with friends? Pour over the almanac or something? She picked Dare and I dared her to jump in naked in the lake. With a lot of teasing and forcing, she finally complied. However, when she spun the bottle, it landed on me. I chose Truth to avoid any harsh dares. Yeah, I know, I'm a coward. 

The question was the most predictable one in the book, but these girls were playing Truth or Dare for the first time so it was expected. 

"Who is your crush?" Brianna asked, still dripping wet.