Sixteen

Classes resume on January Seven. I wonder if I could finish Just You by then? :) 

In this chapter, we get to know a littlebit more about Jake...

Sixteen

#Jake

I haven't seen Dylan since Christmas Eve. I sorta miss her, but that's crazy 'cause it's been just five days. Five days I have been spending with Farrah and my bed. 

I yawned. I haven't really been getting much sleep lately.

I'm not entirely sure where I stand with Farrah now. I haven't really asked her to be my girlfriend but that's because we barely even talk to each other when she comes over. We kiss and make out and we even went on a couple dates and everything that couples do, but I've never gone steady with a girl before. 

Back at my old school, I dated. A lot. And I broke hearts. A lot. 

Probably 'cause I've still been thinking about a certain red-head back then.

But Dylan and I are friends now. Best friends, in fact. I no longer have to deal with whatever issues back at summer camp, nor do I have to worry about hurting her or whatever fear I had back then. So what's keeping me from being with Farrah?

She's hot, she's nice, and she's pretty smart, too. In fact, she's already accepted at an Ivy League school even though she's only a junior. Farrah also volunteers at the animal shelter and she's got a modelling contract. She's just so damn perfect.

I would have asked the guys for advice. We always seemed to bond over girl problems, but I already knew what they were all going to say, that I was crazy to not make Farrah my girl.

I'm going to have to talk to her about this, whatever this is. Or maybe Dylan can help me figure things out? I have to sort this out.

Later.

I'm such a lazy ass.

I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen which hadn't been used since Dylan's visit. I grabbed a pack of chips and some soda which I just bought recently and went off to the living room. Trey just texted me that the Victoria's Fashion Show rerun was showing. What? I'm a hormonal teenage guy. I wonder where my mother is now? Sometimes, I just feel so sick and tired of all this, my mom being drunk and me having to look after her. Isn't she the parent? Why am I the one taking care of her?

I understand the situation perfectly. After all my mother has been through, she does have a reason to be this way. But it was still no excuse and sometimes, I couldn't help but feel bitter about everything I'd had to endure because of this. But then... I was all she had left. Who else would have her back if I didn't?

The house phone started ringing. I went to answer it.

"Jake?"

"Mom?"

"Will ... you come... get me... I  left my... wallet..."

"Mom! Are you alright? Where are you?"

"Bar... come..."

"Hello? Hello?!"

The line went dead. What the hell? She must have been off drinking again but couldn't pay.Now, she calls me to pick up her slack again. Angry and disappointed, I got in my car without bothering to change and tore through the streets in search of whichever bar my mother had gotten hammered on. She could be anywhere! It would take me all night to check every bar in town and I wasn't even sure if she was in an actual bar! 

Fudge. I had to check every single nook and cranny of every bar just in case she was in one of them. I couldn't imagine what might happen to my mother. Some stranger might pick her up or something. That wouldn't be the first time that has happened though. I gripped the steering wheel so hard that my fingers turned white.