Six

Six

#Jake

I could definitely get used to this. I thought being the new kid was going to be awkward and difficult and all, just like all those mainstream high school life movies. But it wasn't like that at all. In fact, I feel like a local celebrity. I've been to school exactly five weeks and random people say hi to me in the hallways. I don't even remember most of them. So I call them dudes and babes. I know, definitely a douche move, but what can I say? It's not like they notice, anyway. Besides, I'm pretty sure I know most of them. Okay, some of them.

My phone buzzed. Thrice. My phone's been doing that a lot lately. Buzzing. Most of them from unknown numbers too.

Kyle: Pizza @ my house. Emergency team meeting. C u guys @ 7.

I typed a quick reply to the captain saying I'll be there.

Unknown number: Hey Jake, this is Liz from Chem. Wanna grab a bite 2nyt?

Who on earth is Liz from Chem? I deleted the message without replying.

Dylan: Fridate is cancelled. I sold you out for pizza.

The last message made me smile. Dylan and I have gotten pretty close. I sat with her at lunch, infiltrated her Chess Club clubroom, dragged her to watch practice, called her phone every night, and even came over a few times. What can I do? I'm that needy for a best friend, and it's just that easy to talk to her and hang out. We agreed to call Friday Nights our Fridate since she insists they're not real dates. I was a little disappointed that we won't be going back to that cozy street, but we have many more Fridates to come. Pizza at Kyle's however doesn't happen that often.

I checked the time on my phone. I had half an hour to get to the McKenna's. I stood up and walked over to my closet. I've already picked out what to wear to my Fridate with Dylan, but it hardly seems appropriate now. I changed from my uniform to a loose blue shirt and black sports shorts and flip flops. I ruffled my hair to make it look like I just got out of bed and not anticipating Fridate from the moment I got home. I slipped a crumpled fifty in my pocket along with my keys and phone, just in case.

...

Kyle opened the door when I knocked. All the other eleven members of the varsity soccer team were already in Kyle's living room except one.

"Where's Nicko?" I asked.

"Actually, he wasn't invited," Kyle answered.

"Why?"

"Have a seat and I'll tell you. Let's make this quick, guys. I know most of you have dates on a Friday night, but those who are free are welcome for pizza later," Kyle announced.

Everyone turned silent at once, their attention on Kyle. 

"This meeting is about a certain person called Nicko Jenkins," Kyle began, "As you all know, Nicko's an average player, pretty good actually, but I'm starting to get real pissed with his attitude and I have also gotten complaints from most of you guys.The thing is soccer season is coming up and I don't want this hostility towards Jenkins to ruin our group dynamics."

"Wait, soccer season in December?" I asked, puzzled.

"Soccer's pretty big in this town. It's an all-year sport with tournaments every three months at least. The whole town practically has the soccer hype," says Trey.

"So what do we do?"Guy asked.

"That's what we're here to discuss, 'cuz I can't "be patient" anymore." Kyle said, " Any suggestions?"

"Make Jenkins quit?"

"How? Beat him up?"

"We can't. There are exactly twelve of us in the varsity team. We need him."