7. puštanje

"I never want to see you unhappy,
I thought you'd want the same for me."
A Fine Frenzy, Almost Lover ☯

l.h.

"Cassie, babe." I murmured against her lips, a gentle grin resting on each of our faces as I rested her back against the door of my apartment.

"Yeah?" she asked, fluttering her eyes closed but leaving her soft, pink lips pressed delicately against mine.

I could feel her hot breath against my lips, and it seemed to blow away the sour moments of the night like a light gust of wind against a stray feather. I ran a hand up her arm and let my eyes fall closed along with hers, pressing my lips to against hers before backing away slightly.

"You're going to hate me," I breathed, "but my keys are in my apron in the shop."

She snickered very lightly, in the way that crinkles her eyes and brings out her little piggy-snout nose that I adored.

"You're a freakin' dweeb." she sneered playfully, before pulling her hands from my waist and shoulder and allowing them to fall to her sides. "Way to ruin the moment, Lucas."

I, on the other hand, continued to lean against her and the door, and ran a hand up her shoulder and let it rest on the back of her neck before pulling her lips to mine once more.

"Well, come on, then." she sighed dramatically. "Let's go get your stupid keys."

I chuckled lightly as she tangled her fingers in mine and took the lead down the hallway. I trailed rather absentmindedly behind her, trying not to let my thoughts drift to where Ashton might've gone earlier.

It seemed the minutes were passing like years as we trekked down the stairs and out the front door of my apartment building, all the way down the sidewalk and around the curb and into the empty coffee shop.

Or so, it should have been empty.

"Sullivan!" Cassie somewhat shrieked, releasing my hand and scurrying over to where Sully was leaning on the sink and running a wet rag over a bloody cut on his cheek.

"What the hell happened to you?" I scoffed lightly, not knowing how to tread on this situation.

"That boy of yours may be slight but he packs one hell of a punch." he joked, before wincing as Cassie removed the rag from his hand and dabbed at the cut.

"What boy?" Cassie asked kind of like she didn't really care, though that feeling of indifference did all but expel the curiosity in itself.

"A friend of mine." I coughed a bit uncomfortably, before ambling over to Sully and moving Cassie out of the way. "Cass, will you run down to the pharmacy down the road? We need some, I don't know, alcohol or something. I'm not a medic. Just get something to clean this, yeah?"

She hesitated for a moment, tucking a lock of her curly brown hair behind her ear before nodding slightly and rushing out the door.

"Why doesn't Cassie know about Ashton?" he asked with a small laugh. "I mean, who are you more afraid of? Her or your rabid squirrel boy?"

I laughed a loose, empty kind of laugh but ignored his question. "Why'd he do this to you anyways? And shit, what'd you do to him?"

I wiped what little blood still trickled from his wound, before allowing my hands to fall to my side and leaning back against the counter.

"Well, I'm glad you have the utmost confidence in my abilities to fuck your boy up," he said with a light scoff, running a hand through his messy hair, "but you know me, and I'm not a fighter. So I carried him out of here kicking and screaming and locked the door."