[R/D]chapter thirty five: River.

Sam POV, 10 days before Toby~~~~~~~~~~~~

They mock me, every day at school, im picked on because im the only one whos too weak to defend myself...ive always relied on others, and my plan on living is to find someone i can rely on....forever.

"Hey Sam!"
Oliver calls out, running towards me.

"What...?"
I ask.

"Youll never guess who me and Evan saw in the infection zone today!"
Oliver says, obviously excited.

"Who?"
I ask.

"A group, but there was this one person in the group that was so badass, they looked like they're our age too! they're qualified to stay here, we're gonna get them once the certificate for it gets pushed through!!"
Oliver says.

"Quieeet..! damnit Oliver, it was supposed to be a secret until we get them, fucking dumbass..!"
Evan says, smacking Oliver on the back of his head.

"Someone...our age...?"
I mumble, a sudden weird thought in my head...a weird feeling.

Somebody my age, coming to my town...Could this be the person whos gonna protect me?

Flashback over~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the crash comes down, (y/n) and Conny rush to the main room, i follow after, even thought everything in me says not to.

"Holy shit, someones in here!"
Conny screams, the rest follow after.

"Damnit, would ya stop bein' so fehkin loud? Im gettin' a migrane already...!"
The person says, taking off their glass covered jacket, they look like a boy...and a girl...what?

(Y/n) rushes to the person and pulls her axe to their throat.

"Tell me exactly why you're here, and why you tried to shoot one of us!"
(Y/n) hisses.

"I ain't my fault! All of you have been goin' the same way I've been, and that one rottin' prick tried to get me first, so in my book I'm justified!"
The person says, slowly taking the axe down from their throat.

"Noah...did you try to kill someone?"
(Y/n) says, turning to Noah, he doesnt answer in any way, he just sits and stares.

"Fucking-...im sorry, he's not the most friendly to most of people, you can go if you want, i promise we wont kill you."
(Y/n) says, the person takes a second, staring at Noah and (y/n), before smiling softly.

"Well, funny story, i dont have a group or home to go to, so maybe ill just tag along with and go to...wherever yer goin'."
The person says.

"We're going to Denver, but i thought you were mad cause Noah-"

"Noah shmoah, i dont really care about what a corpse could do, worst case scenario it tries to nibble me arm."
The person says.

"...really?"
(Y/n) mumbles, obviously surpised.

"I said it didnt i? Im not that keen on stayin' here anyways, the poppers arent the best kinda neighbors."
The person says.

"Poppers?"
Oliver mumbles.

"The big 'ol fehkers that wander 'round this area, they run up to ya and...pop."
The person says.

"Well shit, another mutation...im (y/n) by the way."
(Y/n) says.

"Im River, odd name, but ive stuck with what me mum and dad gave me."
River says.

"...do we just go out the broken window?"
Sam asks.

"We blocked every door, so...i guess so."
Oliver says.

"FuuUUCKK."
Toby groans.

"Lets go, im tired of being somewhere thats supposed to have food...if it did, thatd be a different story."
Conny says, walking out of the broken window.

"Youre not gonna look for vengeance on Noah or us, right?"
(Y/n) asks.

"Nope, i swear on me life."
River says, walking out through the window.

Toby POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One by one, we all get out, and a new person joins, River, the person who tried to kill Noah with an arrow...or were they trying to kill me? Ill never know.

"Toby...why are you so quiet?"
Sam asks, i glare at him.

Fucking dumb kid...he might know what Oliver did, and just cause they're friends he's gonna let Oliver kill everyone...dumb fuck.

"Did you know?"
I ask darkly.

"Know what..?"
Sam asks.

"That your best friend is a murderer."
I hiss, Sams eyes go wide.

"Oliver? H-he would never...!"
Sam stutters, walking faster to catch up with the others.

"So River, this might be a weird question but...what the hell are you? Boy? Girl? ....lizard?"
Conny mumbles.

" its they/Them, i dont like yer weird gender names, I'm just River, the toughest bastard you'll ever meet."
River says.

"So like (y/n)?"
Conny asks.

"Well...now i know what to call them."
River says.

"Not gonna lie, i wanted you to say Lizard."
Conny says with a chuckle.

"I didnt say no, did i?"
River says, before walking quicker, going to (y/n).

"I got some candy from some prick that tried to shoot me, want some?"
River asks, holding out a bag of colorful candy.

"Yes please!"
(Y/n) says, grabbing the bag from their hands, they chuckle while (y/n) eats the small candy.

"Yer hungry, arent ya?"
River says, amusment very aparant in their voice.

"We havent eaten an actual meal since the night after the wall incident."
(Y/n) says.

"The w...wont ask, i can relate to ya on that, last hot meal i got was with me friend, but they snuck out with all me stuff in the dead of night...bastard."
River says.

"Well, we can probably find food in one of these buildings, so lets just hope we have luck."
(Y/n) says.

"I like yer attitude."
River says.

"Hey, the suns already setting."
Oliver points out.

"Fehk, we better lie down for the night, pick a building before the rot come out for a midnight snack."
River says.

"How about a hotel?"
I suggest.

"Like the motel?"
Conny says.

"No, we'll go to the top floor and block off the stairs, then we can sleep or scavenge."
I explain.

"I dont care where we're goin', we just better get to movin'."
River says.

"Well, theres a small hotel, not the highest place, but...itll do."
Oliver says, pointing to something called 'the marksman hotel'.

"I swear to every god in every religion, if theres no food in there, someones getting slapped."
Conny says.

"Lets go then!"
I say, running off, Noah follows after, along with Oliver and Sam.

"...that was quick."
River mumbles, before running along with (y/n).