↳ 7.8

"SONYA! HEY, NEWT."

Newt returned Zoe's greeting with an acknowledging nod.

The latter beamed widely the way she always did (that was one of her most noticeable traits that he had noted from their scarce meetings —Newt knew Zoe better through Penny's stories than personal interactions), but there was a tinge of sadness visibly shown through her eyes.

"I'm just here to tell you that Pen's feeling a little under the weather."

"Oh, no!" Sonya exclaimed in pure concern, "What's wrong? Is she sick?"

Newt remembered how she cried herself to sleep last night and couldn't stop himself from frowning.

"Nah... I think she's just feeling a little sad," Zoe said in sympathy, "You know. She told me that she'd be at work on time, but I'm telling you just in case."

"Do you need to take some time off, too? Keep her accompanied?"

"No, I don't think so," Zoe said with a small pout, "She usually needs some time by herself before she can talk out her problem."

"Ah... I see," Sonya nodded, "Okay, then. She can take the day off if she needs to. Newt— What— Where did he go?"

Zoe laughed and smirked knowingly, "Off to comfort a damsel in distress, I presume."

Sonya laughed along at that, "Oh my God, yes! I'm betting on it, too! I mean, everybody does."

〰️

〰️

PENNY INSISTED ON skipping breakfast the next morning despite Zoe's strong persuasion

She was already full of feelings, anyway.

That's the thing about bad emotion, it was... like a quicksand. She just wanted to sit with her knees pressed onto her chest and empty her mind for God knows how long, sinking deeper and deeper into her sadness until it consumed her whole.

She didn't know how much time had passed as she laid back onto her bed, staring emptily at a corner, entertaining the bad thoughts in her mind, but a sweet, soft, honey-like voice tugged her back to reality.