↳ 7.9

NEWT THOUGHT ABOUT bringing that issue up during a Gathering. He really did, but he could imagine the most likely reactions he would get, and he knew it wouldn't be pretty.

"What's gotten into you? That's completely random."

"Huh? What d'you mean?"

"Who the hell wouldn't be happy to escape a life like Denver?"

"Yeah, with W.I.C.K.E.D.!"

"Is it someone we know?"

"Ah, this is one of the moments I missed having Frankie the wise in the Council."

"Who the shuck told you that klunk?"

So he didn't.

Instead, he pulled Thomas and Frankie over to the hill one afternoon. No Minho allowed.

(Yes, yes, Minho was the Leader. And he could be wise sometimes, especially when mixed with Gally's drink, but still no Minho allowed this time)

"What's up, Newt?" Thomas asked.

Newt had written out a script to properly address this delicate matter last night, but when it was finally time to deliver it, he forgot all about it completely.

"Do you think— I mean, what do you— Uh, wait, lemme arrange my words..."

Thomas and Frankie gave him some time to think patiently (a trait that Minho wouldn't have). After a short while, Newt finally said, "How... do you see ourselves in the future? Like, what is your vision about this Safe Haven?"

"Why are you asking us?" Thomas frowned, "We're not part of the Leaders. Shouldn't you ask Vince or Minho?"

Newt shrugged, "Honestly? Both of you shanks are wiser than most of the Leaders. And you can, like, whisper the ideas to Minho or Brenda when they're sleeping or somethin'."

"Newt. That's just creepy, man."

Frankie gestured for Thomas to speak first, so the latter began, "Okay, okay, um

Frankie gestured for Thomas to speak first, so the latter began, "Okay, okay, um... I guess... Actually, I'm still undecided. A part of me wants us to just live here forever, as if we're the last colony of humanity left in the world. Make this place a permanent residence. Open up spaces, build a sustainable system, create a brand new history. The other part of me knows, somehow, one day, that we'll leave."

"Yes," Frankie added in agreement, "Heard the Leaders are still working on it, too."

"Our vision and mission," Newt nodded.

"They're just doing all this to survive, for as long as possible, but they also have to prepare for that possibility."

"Still not ready to leave soon, though," Thomas admitted.

"We should focus on this place's development as if we'd live here forever, but we should also determine some key traits or contributions we want our people to bring back, should we ever return."