The Hospital

CHAPTER 18: THE HOSPITAL

The next morning I am bombarded with a whole lot of vomit. It's disgusting. My friends take turns staying with me in my compartment. Finally it's Finnick's turn. We talk, well, mostly he talks and I vomit. Anyway, Finnick decides after I start feeling dizzy, that I need to go to the hospital.

He carries me down the hall and into a hospital room where Prim is observing a screen. When we enter, she gives me a concerned glance. "Alex?"

"She's been vomiting and says she's dizzy." Finnick says. "Chase is training, so I brought her here."

"Good choice." Prim says. She turns to me. "How long has this been going on?"

"I started vomiting today, but I felt weird for the last few days." I manage, before vomiting yet again.

Prim hands me a tray. "Is your period off schedule?"

I thought for a moment. "It's supposed to be this week."

Finnick wrinkled his nose. "Now I'm the one who's barfing."

In response, I vomited on him. Not on purpose. Okay, maybe it was on purpose.

What was Prim getting at?

"I'll have to do the tests to be sure, but Alex, I think you're pregnant."

Pregnant? As in, little, breathing child inside my uterus?

Prim smiled. "Congratulations. Would you like me to pull Chase out of training?"

I shake my head. I need to digest this.

"Congratulations." Finnick says. "Are you excited?"

"Scared." I admit. "Snow could use my child as bait or something. He could hurt him or her."

"I'll go get Lilyanna. She should be done with her Nuclear History class by now." Finnick says.

I nod my approval. Prim decides that while Finnick's not here, she'll do the test. After it's done, she tells me the truth. I really am pregnant. I'M GOING TO HAVE A BABY! Yay! Chase and I will have a child together! How will I tell everyone? Will pregnancy be horrible? Will I not be able to go to the Capitol? Of course not, not if I'm pregnant. Ugh. The downsides of being pregnant....

Lilyanna comes back with Finnick. "Hey Mom. Finnick said you have to talk to me. Is everything alright?"

I sigh, and pat the seat next to me for her to sit in. She obeys, looking worried.

"Lilyanna, honey," I say. "When a mommy and a daddy really love each other...."

Her eyes widen. "Did you pull me out of Nuclear History Class to give the sex talk for the second time? Because I swear....."

I smile. "Lilyanna, Chase and I are the daddy and the mommy." I pat my stomach, eyes tearing up. "And we really love each other." My voice is cracked.

Lilyanna's lips curve into an ear-wide smile. "Mom, you're pregnant! I can't believe it! Have you told Chase, did you think about names....?"

"Yanna, I just found out twenty minutes ago. Chase is still in training. I thought I'd tell you first. Breaking the news to Chase will be difficult. I haven't figure out how just yet."

"Just say it, Mom. If he stayed with me while I was being captured and tortured, he'll definitely stay with the love of his life." Lilyanna says, smiling. "Your pregnant!" She squeals.

She runs off to go bring me lunch, and Everdeen and Johanna burst into the room.

"Coin isn't letting us go to the Capitol!" They cry. Both look surprised that I am there, so they clearly must've been coming to talk to Prim.

"Is she letting you go, Alex?" Everdeen asks.

Uh, not if I'm pregnant.

"Well-um, you see, I-uh....."

"Spit it out!" Johanna demands.

"I haven't asked, but even if she wouldn't, I-uh, couldn't go."

Johanna looks like she just might pop my head off. "And why not?"

I look at my stomach. "I'm, um...... pregnant."

"You've been busier than I thought." Johanna says, smirking.

"Congratulations." Everdeen says.

"You're pregnant!!!!!!" Prim cries.

A head pops into our doorway. "Who's pregnant?"

Oh no. It's Chase.

He smiles when he notices me. "Oh, hey Alex. I heard squealing, is everything...." His eyes just about pop out of his head. "Are YOU the one that's pregnant?"

Well, I guess I don't have to find a good way to tell the father of the child in my uterus that he's a father.

I nod slowly. "Are you-" I was going to ask if he was mad, but he runs towards me, picks me up and spins me around. When I land, he kisses my belly.

"Hello little Chase Jr."

I roll my eyes. "Don't count on it, Chase Sr."

Chase drapes an arm around me. "I don't care what we name our kid, Alex. As long as you can do the diaper changes."