thirty nine

Billie was laying stomach down on the floor in front of Tony the couch, painting her nails with an unrivalled concentration, the navy polish gliding onto her short nails with a precision that only came with practice when the front door inched open and a raven head poked in.

She picked her eyes up, smiling cordially to the vampire that had just entered, quickly returning her attention to the unfinished nails below her. Billie had called Damon as soon as she realised he'd left, asking to meet him later. She hadn't expected him to show up at her place but, the sooner the better, she supposed. 

Now the vampire stood surveying the apartment. "Still living on the couch, huh." He commented conversationally, gesturing to the blue blanket spread over the unflattering brown.

Billie smiled humbly, blowing on her left hand. "Where else?" He shrugged as though he'd never thought about it before, even though he had, many times. "Well... I've got room." He suggested dismissively. 

She stopped painting and looked up at him with narrowed eyes. "Damon Salvatore, are you asking me to move in with you?" Billie adopted a slightly teasing tone that instantly made the vampire roll his eyes and face away from her, walking leisurely around her place.

"Because I distinctly remember you telling me that living with you would considerably shorten my life expectancy." Damon paused his movement, thinking back and realising that he had in fact said that, waving it off. "Well, I have come to the conclusion that you've managed to do that just fine yourself."

Billie shrugged as if to say 'fair enough'. Damon pulled open her fridge, eyes scanning over its minimal contents. "What did you want to see me about anyway?" He got back on topic, pulling out a spoon from the fridge with furrowed brows before shaking his head and putting it back in.

Harper cursed as the brush briefly fell off her nail, cleaning up the small mistake with the pad of her thumb. "You seen Ric acting weird lately?" She started vaguely. Damon frowned suspiciously, moving out of the kitchen with his eyes on the clairvoyant. "Aside from getting framed for a couple murders, he seems alright... why do you ask?"

She sighed a little nervous to say it out loud. "Well I just happened to take my glasses off for a moment earlier today and I noticed some... questionable things around him." Billie articulated slowly, feeling like a horrible friend for not just being upfront about it.

Damon's brows shot up in surprise and he moved in front of Billie, leaning against the wall beside the TV with his arms crossed. "Did you now?"

Billie hummed in response. "And given your track record for ignoring me when you don't like what I have to say, I would have happily given this information to someone else to use but..." She started to screw the polish shut. "Stefan hasn't exactly been on my speed dial lately, Caroline's dad just died, Bonnie's mom got turned into a vampire - great job on that one by the way - and Elena... well I usually steer clear of calling Elena anyway, so that left you!"

The vampire stood silent for a moment before a humoured smile broke over his lips and he laughed lowly. "Fair enough."

She joined him, showcasing a bright grin until it died a little at the edges as she thought of why she'd called him, getting back on track "And I know Meredith was the one that got him arrested and all but..."

Billie looked over her nails to distract herself from the vampire's intense eyes. "Damon when I went to see her, she really was okay. No red flags or bad feelings, nothing. The opposite of bad actually."

She started to climb off the floor, itching her nose with the back of her sleeve while her nails dried. "I have no idea what it all means. If maybe he's..." Billie stopped herself before she finished the sentence, accidentally catching Damon's eyes. It startled her a little how cold and serious they were. She wondered if it was such a good idea telling him after all, it felt like all he ever did was doubt her abilities. She did enough of that herself without him joining in.