03

CHAPTER THREE!

the call

Its been quite a few days since the encounter between Dallas and Annette. unlike Dallas, Annette has come to forget about that day. it was a Saturday which meant she'd probably be heading to Kathy's house. she had just came down the stairs when the phone rang. she unwillingly picks it up.

"Hello" she greets, still tired for she had just woken up not to long ago.

"Annette Samson?" A rough voice asks in a deadpan tone.

"yes, what is this about?" she says. if this doesn't have anything to do with her car then she has no interest. but she feels that it would be rude to hang up without reasoning.

"uh were calling about your car that-"

"has it been found?" she squeals, with hope laced in her voice.

"yes uh, about that...we are sorry to inform you that it had been found, pretty damaged from a car accident." the man says. but she knows they don't care. it doesn't help that she hears laughter in the back.

"Dallas Winston strikes again, huh?" the voice laughs in the back. it seems as though the man had completely forgotten that she was even on the line.

"yep, got away before we even got there. that son of a bit-"

she couldn't take it. she hangs up and sulks. She stands there for a moment till she noticed her aunt has also waken up.

"how ya doin baby?" she smiles warmly. giving Annette a kiss in the forehead.

"Aunt Betty, the phone rang." Annette mumbles, still taking in the information she had just heard. it is hard to take it all in. she saved up for months just to afford it and now its gone. Aunt Betty gives her a motherly look. she had taken over the role of mother after Annette's real mother passed away only a year after she was born. She's been living with her ever since.

"oh lord, what happened?" Aunt Betty asks worriedly.

"the cars gone, some bastard crashed it." she explains. leaning her head against the wall and staring at the ceiling. she hears her aunt mutter some things but she doesn't pay them any mind.

Her aunt finally takes a seat on the couch, resting her elbow on the arm of her seat. Annette just stares up above. Deep in thought.

Dallas Winston. She was familiar with the name. Its hard not to be. He's talked about, in town. In and out of jail, no good. She's hasn't seen him though. All she knows about him comes from the gossip around town or the gossip from her own friends, mostly Kathy and Tyler.

He tried hooking up with one of Kathy's friends, Cherry. Kathy said she threw a coke right in his face. Serves him right. He's nothing more than a womanizer. Annette's never met him. and quite frankly, she'd like too. Not to really speak or anything of that sort but more just to feed in to her curiosity.

But now, all she could think about is telling him off. he has the nerve to come to greenwood just to steal a car, and he can't even drive properly. What business does he have in Greenwood anyway. Its a colored neighborhood.

in contrast to the greaser side and the soc side of town, no one really comes to greenwood unless you're from greenwood. Or more specifically, unless you're colored. greenwood is diverse. with a mix of Hispanics and Asians and of course blacks.

the area looks better and better, after it was burned down in 1921 but no one really speaks on that.

kind of shocking, considering some of the white folks were so proud of what they had done. they even took some of the few pictures of the massacre and turned them into postcards. even captioned them, "little africa is burning"

triflin. down right triflin.

End of chapter 03