Part Fifteen: Pain

Happiness is an illusion. Serenity and peace but a dry spell in the enviable violence we call life. Or at least it was for me when it came to romantic relationships. I thought. Pulling myself up off the floor I moved to the kitchen for a trash bag and began to clean the mess.

Once done, I opened the windows, placed a saucer under my cast iron censor and lit its contents. The calming smell of frankincense filled the flat, as I desperately scrubbed the past few days off me. I stepped out of the shower wrapped myself in a towel and trudged into my bedroom where I got dressed and attempted to put my hair up. I was not in the mood to have it smelling like bleach and dawn.

Satisfied it would stay reasonably in place, I made my way to the bathroom once more and began my task. By noon I was exhausted and my muscles sore from scrubbing. My reward, a spotless apartment. Floor to ceiling had been scrubbed and every crevice in between. The door bells rang as I dumped the last of the cleaning water in the toilet and flushed.

May be they'll just go away I thought. Whoever it was was persistent, alternating between the bell and knocking. Exasperated, I huffed and pulled myself up from the floor.

"I'm coming!"

Swinging the door back with scroll on my face, my eyes met ones I was hoping I wouldn't have to see, his mom's . Shit!

******
Blinking rapidly, I eventually composed myself enough for a stuttered greeting.
"Ah... uh! H-Hi Mrs G." My mouth as suddenly dry. " C-coming in. I-I'm sorry the place is a bit of a mess. I-I w-was just cleaning."  She walked in with a raised eyebrow as I motioned her to a chair.

"Oh! So I am Mrs. G now? Mhphm!!" She says as strides past the suggested chair and sits on a stool by the breakfast bar. She must be who Jacob gets his authoritarian complex from. I am really not in the mood.

"Aren't you going to tell me why you have been avoiding me? Mmhm?"

"I..."

"Don't even think of lying to me little girl!"