Homecoming 5

[hides behind a shield]
Hey guys,
so sorry for not updating last week. I don't have any excuses, I just didn't take the time to write this, I was too focused on work and another story. Maybe I also wanted to delay the end of The Lost Boy... Anyway, no more waiting, here is the last chapter.

Love and scales.

* * * * * * * * * * * 

Homecoming 5
(after Book 4)

The curtain opened on a mostly empty stage. There was only two trees as a set, with a view on New Berk in the background.

All the vikings of the village, with a few dragons roaming around, were gathered to watch the pageant. A lot of them were still a bit tired from Black Plague Friday, but still they came.

In the diming lights of dusk, lantherns had been scattered in the streets and around the stage, adding soft yellow glows. Once the musicians started to play, vikings applauded in anticipation, the children in first rows bouncing excitedly.

Among the spectators was the chief's family. Elska was chatting with Olgarg with an excited Alwine on her knees, smiling broadly with her eyes fixed on the stage. An equally excited but half-asleep Haldrik in Gorefrid's arms was trying not to doze off. On her part, Zephyr was blased, just waiting for the show to begin next ot her father. Eret was amused and trying to cheer her up, but nothing could change the young girl's mind for now. Pretty much everyone was curious about the new pageant, while Hiccup dreaded it. Tuffnut playing the role of his teen self was sure to be a punch in his ego, but Gobber playing Stoick ? It could be either barely correct, or devastatingly catatrophic. With the help of Astrid and Joke, he was keeping an eye on the act from the backstage.

The actors entered the stage, blinded by the light shining on them thanks to Hoark's trick with his shield and a few candles. The costumes were a bit... creative, to say the least. Tuffnut looked like a overgrown teen Hiccup with a bouquet of sticks as a hat, and blond dreadlocks not even hidden. As to Gobber, Hiccup had to admit using painted broomsticks to try and impersonate the huge red beard was not a bad idea, but a tomato for the nose ? Seriously ?

The chief tried to shake off these thoughts and focus on the show, though he knew his character was going to be belittled. Well, at least it was not so far from what he had known when he was a teen, but this show was surely going to depict him as worst than a talking fishbone, especially if Stoick was to be the hero of this story.

Gobber opened his mouth and started the show. His accent was not so bad, but his voice lacked the booming sound Stoick used to have.

''Hiccup, today is the day everything changes, for I have tamed a dragon !''

The real Hiccup tried all his might not to roll his eyes, and dreaded Tuffnut's retort. Well, he dreaded Tuffnut's impersonation of him, but thinking the actor would not actually act was not expected. Indeed, the blond viking bent a bit to litterally read the text Snotlout was showing them from a hidden spot on the stage's floor. It was only meant as a reminder if the actors happened to forget their line, but Tuffnut was squinting to read it. No emotion in his voice, slightly hesitation as he couldn't see clearly.

''I am so tiny and afraid.''

People laughed in the crowd while Hiccup started to wipe his hands around. ''Wha-What is that ? That never happened !''

Astrid snickered and pushed his hand down.

''So ? Gobber took a few liberties.''

Indeed, this line was not in the script Hiccup had checked, or else he would have made sure it was removed. While the show was going on, the kids infatuated in it and this funny picture of the chief, Hiccup kept on whisper-complaining to his sister-in-law.