First words

(set at the end of Book 3 but before the last chapter)

''Da... Da....''

''That's it, that's it. Say 'Daddy'.'' Hiccup encouraged with a stupid smile on his face.

Joke could only watch as his husband was half leaning on the table, looking intently at their baby daughter on the other side.

Her face was still full of soup but Hiccup had completely forgotten to wipe it as Alwine had started to talk. It had been a few weeks she had started to form coherent sounds but not any proper word, and both men were excited to hear her speak her first word.

While Hiccup was repeating over and over the word in try for her to say it, Joke kept an eye on them as he was giving some more fishes to the five young dragons settled under the table, Toothless keeping an eye on them to make sure they wouldn't disturb the fourniture while Lumiverse was staring quizzicaly at the odd sight of Hiccup and Alwine.

Joke smiled at her, amused, before looking back at them too.

''Daaaaddy.'' The chief insisted.

''Da...''

Alwine wiped some of her drool and soup from her face and opened up her mouth again, taking a deep breath in.

''Da... dagon !'' She finally said.

Hiccup blinked owlishly, taken aback by the happy exclaim, while Joke burst out in laughter. The chief gave a glare at his husband, who rose his hands as if he was innocent.

''Sorry, I couldn't resist. You should have seen your face.''

''That's because I thought she was going to say 'Daddy', not 'dragon'.''

''Dwagon ! Dwagon !'' The baby squeaked in delight, flailing her arms happily.

Hiccup pouted, dejected, while Joke chuckled and came closer. He pressed a kiss on top of the auburn head and picked up their daughter, using a napkin to wipe her face while she was still chanting her first word.

''Yeah, dragons, you like dragons, Awie ?''

Hiccup snorted at the nickname they had given the baby. He always found it funny, but still pretty accurate because sometimes they just wanted to watch her in awe, marveling at just how unique she was.

''Dwagon !''

''But you like your daddies too, right ?'' Joke teased.

''Dwagon !''

''Okay, I'll take that as a 'no', then. Good to know where your priorities are, little miss.''

Hiccup snorted again, but this time it was only due to Joke's sarcasms. Sometimes his husband sounded just like him. His smile faltered as the white haired man gave him the baby.

''Honey, can you take her while I clean the dishes ? Maybe use this time to try and teach her what love is ?''

''You're too dramatic, babe.''

Joke glared at him and pointed a finger at him.

''I'm sure you're the one she picked up the word from. You're always talking about dragons.''

''Dwagons !''

Joke paused a moment, then pointed to the little giggling girl.

''I'm not talking to you anymore, miss No-Heart. Not until you show some love to your poor daddies.''

And with that, he headed to the kitchen with a pile of empty plates to clean. Alwine seemed puzzled by what happened but she quickly got her smile back as Hiccup sat her on his lap. She clapped her hands and rose them towards him, visibly trying to touch his face.

''Dwagon !'' She chirped.

''Daddy.'' He tried.

''Huh ?''

''Oh come on.'' He half laughed, half whined. '' 'Dragons' is a more complicated word and you nailed it. Say it. Say 'daddy'.''

''Dwagon !''

Hiccup sighed as Joke came back to fetch their pints.

''Nothing, heh ?'' He teased.

The auburnet gave him a tired look, and that seemed to amuse the baby.

''I'm sure she's doing this on purpose.''

''Dowi ! Dowi !'' Alwine squeaked.

Both men looked at her trying to repeat 'doing' with a broad smile.

''Most definitively.'' Joke admitted. ''She'll do every word starting with 'D' that exists before even trying to say 'dad'.''

Judging by how the girl laughed at that, there was no doubt left she was going to fool them for a long time.

Joke shook his head and went back to the kitchen, while Hiccup glared half-playfully at her.

''Little devil.''

''Devi !''