Too smart

(set at the end of Book 3 but before the last chapter)

When Hiccup went to visit his husband at the healer hutt during a break, he was not expecting to find the white haired man chuckling to himself while tidying herbs and other cures scattered on his table.

''Just like her father...'' He murmured.

''Huh... Is everything okay ?'' The chief asked cautiously.

Joke jumped and faced him, then flashed a big grin on his face.

''Hey babe, I wasn't expecting you.''

Hiccup entered the hutt, somehow reassured his husband was okay.

''I've got some free time before I have to check the reports from the docks, so I thought I could pass by and see you guys. Where is Alwine ?''

Joke rolled his eyes in an exasperated fashion and pointed to the door leading to the rest room, like the healer used to call it.

''Pretending to sleep, 'cause I'm sure she's gonna keep up that antic for the whole day.''

''What do you mean by-''

He didn't finish his sentence as they heard a soft thud coming from the rest room. Joke's eyes widened in exasperation and he turned to face the door, crossing his arms and leaning against the table, eyes focused at the bottom of the door, as if expecting to land on a small silhouette.

And they did as the door opened. It creaked softly to reveal the little one year old girl, waggling her arms happily and taking tiny steps. Hiccup held back a chuckle seeing just how proud and happy their little angel seemed to be.

''Pwapwa !'' She squeaked, raising her arms towards the auburn bearded man.

Said man smiled and took a step towards her, but his husband stopped him by placing a hand on his chest.

''Oh no miss, you're not getting away with this.''

Hiccup watched with confusion at the mixture of amusement and exasperation playing on his husband face. Joke walked to their daughter and picked her up, earning a giggle while he was himself trying to seem angry but was clearly amused.

Hiccup frowned and smiled at the same time, following the white haired man back to the rest room. There, he watched his husband lay the toddler back into her playpen. She warbled and made a few bubbles with her mouth while Joke put back the blanket on her. Hiccup also noticed Midnight, Nightsky and Daylight were in it too, fast asleep, Duskstorm doozing off from the windowsill while Moonshine was laying on the floor, yawning.

''And this time, stay in here.'' Joke ordered with a firm voice, only to earn another warble in reply.

He shook his head and went back to the main room, gesturing his husband to follow. When the door was closed behind them, Joke finally let his smile creep out.

''What was that ?'' Hiccup asked, smiling broadly, sensing something funny was happening.

Joke shook his head, eyes sparkling with mischief, then went back to his previous activity while explaining.

''I swear to the gods, this kid's gonna drive me crazy.''

''That is to say ?''

''I don't know how she does that, but somehow she manages to climb out of her playpen to get back here. Right then was already the second time. She's quite stubborn, you know, just like-''

''Just like her father, yeah, that's the line I heard when I arrived.''

Joke stuck out his tongue to him and focused back to his tidying, while Hiccup glanced at the closed door. Everything seemed calm on the other side. Seemed. Judging by what Joke just told him, either Alwine had found a new game and was going to play it for the rest of the day, either she finally succombed to nap time. He was more inclined to believe she was going to do the former.

Still hoping she actually fell asleep, he joined his husband and wrapped his arms around his waist, resting his chin on the blue-clad shoulder.

''Maybe we can ask Astrid or Elska to keep her tonight so we can spend some time together, just the two of us.''

''Sounds like a plan, but how do you plan to keep the Night Lights away from the house ?''

''Huh... Still working on it.''

Joke chuckled and turned his head so he could peck on his husband cheek, making him grin. Hiccup lifted his chin and was about to kiss him when they heard another thud, but louder than the previous one. It was instantly followed by a loud wail and screeching noises visibly coming from the Night Lights. Despite their baby wailing, Joke smiled.

''I think this time she got it climbing out of bed is not that a good idea.''

''Shouldn't you worry she could got hurt ?'' Hiccup asked, actually worried himself.

''Remember when I told you she would be like a mini-Astrid ?''

''Yeah ?''

''Just as tough as her aunt. Don't worry, garble on her belly and she'll be back to lovely-joyful-mischievous little Alwine.''

''If you say so.'' Hiccup chuckled, kissing his husband's hair before heading to the door.

Actually, he had not noticed the wailing had subdued while they were talking, so he was surprised when he opened the door. His little girl was sitting on her butt, wipping her tear-strained face while Midnight was licking her hair in try to comfort her. That seemed to work, and the baby flashed a goofy smile to her father. Hiccup shook his head and picked up his daughter, who put on puppy eyes and showed him her elbow. It was a bit red, seemingly from the fall.

''Owie.'' She said.

''Don't worry, my little darling, you're fine.''

He still kissed the reddened skin, earning another giggle that made him smile. Hiccup had to admit Joke had been right about their daughter when he was pregnant with her. First, she really was a girl, like he was expecting it. Second, she was both as smart as Hiccup and as adventurous and bold as Astrid. Though there was something Joke had not anticipated but Hiccup could see more every passing day. This girl also took a lot after her white haired father.

Granted she ressembled him a lot physically, but she also was a big ball of fun-loving, joyful and lively prankster. And she was just so cute it was difficult to scold her, even when she deserved it, Hiccup could only hope Joke and him would get better at it in the coming years. By the mean time, he simply gave her an esquimo kiss and told her :

''See ? That's why you shouldn't climb out your bed on your own. Because owie.''

''Owie !'' She replied, showing off her red elbow as if asking for another healing kiss, or even braging about it. At this rate, Hiccup was not sure about it.

As he turned around to the door, he saw his husband leaning on the doorframe, arms crossed with a lopsided grin on his face.

''This kid's too smart for her own good.''

And Hiccup could only agree with that.