Chapter 10

"Next!"

Momo moved forward to the next available window, setting an envelope on the counter alongside the deposit slip. The woman smiled in greeting, processing the cash to add it to her account.

"Will you need a receipt?"

"No, I'm good," the thief answered.

Leaving the building the young woman shoved both hands into the jacket pockets and merged into the foot traffic. Her visits to the bank were spaced out in order to not draw suspicion. The amount made on her jobs throughout the city was bound to draw unneeded attention. Someone her age didn't exactly come into possession of so many bills normally. She didn't need those kinds of questions directed her way. What didn't end up in the bank right away was hidden away inside her apartment. And Momo always went to different branches around the city to not get to know the tellers at the windows.

Crossing the street in Times Square, not yet crowded from how early it still was, the young woman began heading south along the road. There were street performers on the corners and individuals dressed in costumes getting their pictures taken with tourists. Momo managed to avoid all of them before turning a corner and crossing once more when the cars were gone. Without Zihao, and the warning to lay low, she had to admit things were a little boring. But maybe it was for the better? She spent more time now around the orphanage to help out and visited parts of the city as a civilian instead of scoping it out in a recon fashion. In a way that was enjoyable. She found herself wandering through Central Park a lot lately–

"Leo!"

The shout was nearly hard to hear over the noise of the city streets, but the familiar name made the young woman pause. The brows pinched and glanced around. Maybe her paranoia had reached an all-time high–?

"Look out!" someone yelled.

Momo's head whipped up to watch large debris fall towards the ground from the top of a building. There were seconds for people to react that were too close to the structure on the other side of the road. But even those opposite of it were in danger.

The young woman rushed forward to tackle a mother and child to the ground as a metal grate impacted where they once stood. The rest falling around them indented and cracked the asphalt from the sheer weight and force, some becoming trapped between the destruction. Momo continued to cover the strangers underneath her before encouraging them to move when there was a break. The child wailed in fear, the woman lifting the boy into her arms and ran. The thief was close behind. Those that managed to clear the area were running too, but not all escaped uninjured. Some that were brave enough rushed back to help.

Once the mother and child were a safe distance away, her attention turned up towards the glass windows in wonder as to what happened. The young woman caught sight of a body being thrown back over the edge to the roof followed by three more. She'd recognize those forms anywhere. Even from this distance. What on earth were they doing up there? And more importantly, what was fighting them in broad daylight?

There was a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that told her she already knew the answer to that question and froze in place. Most likely it involved the Foot Clan somehow. Was Shredder up there? The man that Zihao feared. What was he up to that dragged out the turtles from the sewers to risk exposure? And to her mild annoyance, Leonardo's words echoed in her head,

"But it will be [your problem] when those you care about become involved due to whatever it is they may be planning."

Looking over the destruction on the street, police sirens echoed in the distance. In a matter of minutes, the area would be blocked off. The time to act was now, staring at the revolving doors into the lobby of the Sacks' building.