Chapter 54

Donatello had been right. Momo didn't need to worry about the finals. She passed in the top percentile of the classes and became eligible for more advanced courses. The young woman applied immediately the same day through one of the administrators, grabbing some of the last spots in the classes. When the purple turtle dropped by later, he brought celebratory take-out Italian dinners and two large slices of tiramisu with him. He didn't reveal as to how he managed to pick up the food on the way without going inside the establishment, but she let it go from the fact her stomach growled loudly from the scent coming from the bag.

A few weeks into the term, Momo and Donatello began to test a few smaller parts from her blueprints. Like the finger joints and just the overall build of the digits using their shop tools in the garage. Quite a few loud noises came from that part of the hideout from time to time when they sliced through scrap metal, welded, and hammered out any dents in the test material. The two had to make sure not to work too late so they didn't bother anyone sleeping.

The classes at the parkour gym were also going well. Immediately, Momo's time slots filled up weeks in advance once recommendations reached friends from word of mouth. It forced Diego to turn down last minute reservations that tried to call in. April and Casey snagged two spots around Valentine's Day. While most couples went out to romantic locations or chose a quiet night in, they enjoyed a little competition before showering and changing to go on a dinner date afterwards. They were adorable in Momo's mind. And hilarious when the reporter reached out to tickle his side at one point to gain a lead on him towards the end of the lesson.

These normal, mundane activities were quite a change from what she'd been used to. It felt weird at first, feeling a bit lazy in a sense. Or worried for a brief moment that she wasn't accomplishing enough. But now things stabled out at a good normal. It made the ex-thief feel more included instead of choosing to stand outside the bubble. Momo even sat down one night to watch a movie in her own living room for the first time in over two years.

The ex-thief moved through the streets of the city. She carried a backpack on her person, taking a leisurely pace after another fun Saturday around the orphanage. Momo was in planning mode. In a little over a month, Ms. Dunn would host their spring outing in the backyard again. Which meant stocking up on face paints, organizing the mini booths and other fun activities, and writing out a list for food, decorations, and other party items. The younger kids were excited. Talking about last year's event and wondering how this one may compare. Ms. Dunn gave the orphans two themes to vote on. To start buying their decorations. They nearly went with a pirate theme, when Tommy wondered aloud,

"Can we decorate it for Jessie and her friends?"

That notion spread like wildfire. Quickly, the pirate theme was forgotten. Now they talked about wearing colorful ninja bandanas across their eyes, learning cool ninja tricks, and possibly a scavenger hunt to take down the Foot Clan and their master plan.

"I don't think we'll be able to convince them to go with any other theme," Ms. Dunn smiled. Momo stayed behind once everyone was asleep to help put away the dishes from dinner. "But I'm not sure how I'm going to get the necessary party supplies to support the theme."

"Sorry about that," the young woman apologized. "I definitely made this more complicated for you. But I think I can help."

"How? You're the one that made up these stories so these aren't mass produced list Disney or Star Wars supplies."

Her eyes landed on the kitchen fridge that had a few drawings tacked into place. She knew where to find the others throughout the house.

"Just go to Party City and get the essentials. Plates, forks, spoons, knives, cups, games, that sort of thing. I'll handle the color of the decorations and bandanas we can pass out for them to wear. Since I know what colors to look for. And I'll come as Jessie. I'm sure I can find something in my closet."