Chapter 30

On the day of April's mission, the thief called to wish her luck. The thief asked once more if she needed her assistance, however the reporter insisted that this was a perfect one-man job to not raise suspicion. Though that placed the young woman under strict instructions to call if anything happened. Momo stretched her arms high overhead and yawned. She'd been busy at the orphanage due to a terrible case of the stomach bug that broke out in the home. The young woman had been there to assist as need be. After a week where many kids stayed home from school, everyone finally began to feel better. And the late nights finally caught up with her. To remain awake in case April asked for help, she walked through the city to run a few errands in the meantime.

A jacket pocket began to ring, Donatello's name on the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Momo–"

"Hey, Momo!" Michelangelo shouted in the background. It was followed by an, "Ow," and the human snickered.

"Sorry about that," the purple turtle apologized.

"What can I do for you tonight, Donatello?" she asked.

"The four of us are about to go to the Knicks game. They are playing the Los Angeles Clippers. Interested?"

"Unfortunately, I think I'll take a rain check. I have to drop by a friend's house for something."

"You sure you don't wanna join afterwards? I can come get you at halftime."

Her head shook at his persistence. "Five sounds like a crowd tonight." She could hear his brothers in the background amped up.

"It won't be if you want to join. Promise."

Momo smiled. "You need an outing with your brothers instead of being held up in a lab all day. We both could use the time off. Go enjoy the game. Like I said, I've got errands to run. I'll catch up with you tomorrow."

He paused for a moment in thought, "You're not doing another job, right?"

"I haven't had one in weeks, Donatello. It wasn't really in my interest to pick one up this late into the evening."

Worried that he offended her, the turtle back tracked, "S-Sorry, it's not that– Just that–" and he sighed before taking a breath and saying, "I was just making sure you wouldn't need any backups from the lab. I don't want you getting hurt if we're at a game."

The offer left Momo a bit speechless before whispering, "This wouldn't be my first job if I had one..." And never before had the turtle offered to assist her in some way, shape, or form when it came to her profession. She was always careful to keep the two separated to carry through with her promise to Leonardo and Master Splinter.

"Doesn't matter."

Momo smiled, "That's nice to know, Donatello. I'll remember that... Though I don't think Leo would be impressed with you helping me with something illegal."

"He doesn't have to know everything," the genius muttered.

The young woman laughed. "Go enjoy yourself. I may try to meet up with April later if time allows it. Have fun."

"Thanks!"

They hung up. With a smile she placed the phone back into the pocket for safe keeping. Bastille's place was only a few blocks ahead.

Donatello turned around to face his brothers. "So are we picking up?" Raphael asked.

"Nope, it's just us tonight."