Chapter 39

Manaus, Brazil. That was the closest destination to catch up to Bebop and Rocksteady's positions in South America. The five stowaways tried to find some comfort on the cargo plane among the multiple boxes and crates for various shipments. All of them tried to get some sleep in the meantime. Yet the farther they went, the temperature inside the hull spiked. Hot. Humid. A terrible combination, which was what began to slowly wake them up six hours later from how uncomfortable they became. Michelangelo attempted to cool down by fanning himself using a discarded pamphlet. It produced little success.

"Aren't there supposed to be like, pretty stewardesses handing out warm hand towels and stuff?" the orange turtle asked. There was nothing back here to regulate the air like in the front of the aircraft.

"Not down here, Mikey," Raphael breathed out. A red ball bounced against the far wall to keep him entertained.

"Not for us," Leonardo agreed. The back of a hand wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"Should've dressed in shorts and a tank top," Momo muttered. The black pants and long-sleeves were getting to her. She had crawled off a stack of boxes to lay on the slightly cooler metal floor. "How much longer?"

"A few hours," Donatello answered. His shell leaned up against a crate, while he sat on another. "It–"

A warning noise activated the holo-screen to appear.

"Oh, boy." A finger pressed at the map section to enlarge the picture. "Bebop and Rocksteady are en route back to New York."

"What?" Leonardo exclaimed. Everyone got to their feet and realized that the markers pinging the mutant's location were on a fast track home.

"They must have already retrieved the last piece they needed to open the portal."

The eldest brother noticed something. "Looks like our plane's about to cross over theirs, right?"

"Yeah, with a 3,000-foot separation. I could plot a course for intercept, but we'd have to jump."

This new plan of action made Raphael's expression drop and his skin pale. "Jump?" he questioned.

The purple turtle marched to the back of the aircraft to unlatch the side door. A quick look down showed just how small the ground was far below them.

"Oh, boy! Guys, I don't know if this is such a good plan!"

"Aw, come on, don't go getting soft on me now, Raph," Michelangelo teased. "This is gonna be fun!"

Donatello bent down at the edge of the door, goggles in place. The cargo plane in question came into his line of sight and the focus zeroed in to plot a course of action.

"We got to go now. We only have a thirty second window!" the purple turtle stated.

Raphael began panicking even more, Leonardo and Michelangelo attempting to talk some sense into him. This was the only option if they were going to extract the item from Shredder's henchmen. Before they reached New York City. But he didn't seem convinced. Donatello turned his attention towards the human. He searched her expression as she continued to look out the open hatch, not an ounce of fear in her eyes like his brother, but intrigue.

"I don't suppose I can convince you to stay!" the mutant shouted over the wind.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," she stated, smirking.

"Climb on then," he ordered. He bent down slightly. Doing as told Momo climbed on, heels locked around the edge of his shell, while the arms wrapped around the neck. It wasn't the most comfortable position, but secure as Donatello stood. He had a hand on her wrists to be sure she stayed in place.