Chapter 29

In the early hours of the afternoon, Donatello shifted closer towards the warmth to the left of him. His face nuzzled into the soft surface of a pillow to drift back under. It smelled like jasmine and a hint of citrus, which wasn't a common scent the mutant found in the lair. Or at least while he slept. Something shifted under the weight of an arm, which began to further pull Donatello from his slumber. Slowly, the eyes cracked open to investigate. Though they went wide a moment later.

Even without glasses, this close, the purple turtle could make out his face wasn't just buried into a pillow, but strands of black hair. And his arm was wrapped around the waist of the human, who he had no recollection of before passing out, in a way that made his face flush. The mutant and the young woman were spooning, which is what caused him to shout in surprise from the close contact. Momo immediately woke up. Not just from the cry or the jerk of her body when Donatello scrambled backwards, but from the noise of him crashing to the ground since he fell off the bed in his haste. She sat up with a jolt to look around the room to figure out what happened, shouting,

"What? What? What?" Her wide eyes then went to the purple turtle on the floor.

"W-What are you doing here?" he stammered out.

The young woman realized there was no danger and let out a breath. Her heart pounded in her chest from the scare.

"I was sleeping." A hand ran through her hair to push the strands out of her face. "Oh my god, you gave me a heart attack."

His hand fumbled around for the glasses on the night table in order to see better. "Me?! What are you doing here?"

"You were sleeping at the desk so I brought you up here and decided to sleep over since it was late."

"Y-Y-You– I-I–"

Suddenly, the door slammed open and someone rushed inside. "Donnie! Where's the fire?" Michelangelo shouted.

The youngest wielded a bat in hand and looked around the bedroom. He didn't come alone when Leonardo and Raphael nearly collided against one another in the hall.

"No need to sound the alarm any further," Momo spoke up. "Donatello didn't realize I decided to spend the night after helping him to bed."

"Nice one, Donnie," Raphael snickered. "Smooth."

"I-I-I was– I-I didn't– S-S-She wasn't–" the purple turtle stumbled over his words.

"So much for being aware of your surroundings," Leonardo muttered.

"I was sleeping," he defended.

The brothers waved him off with laughter and grins at his misfortune and embarrassment. "Hey, Momo, since you're here, did yah want to start boxing lessons today?" Raphael asked.

"Yeah, after we all get more sleep." A yawn escaped her lips. "I'll meet you in the dojo."

He grunted in reply and led the others out of the room. "Keep it PG, you two," Michelangelo teased before the door closed.

"Mikey!" Donatello shouted.

The thief fell back onto the mattress and buried one side of her face into the pillow. She faced the purple turtle still on the ground and cocked a brow at him. "You all right?" the thief questioned.

"Y-Y-Yeah." He realized the young woman changed back into the sweatshirt she wore on the last sleepover. Thankfully it was dark enough in the room to hide the fact his cheeks flushed again. "Sorry for scaring you... I didn't smother you, d-did I?"