Chapter 27

The second phone on the kitchen counter began to ring. Momo glanced over from the stove to see a familiar name on the screen and hit the speaker phone.

"What can I do for you, Donatello?"

"Are you planning to come out tonight?" the purple turtle asked.

"No, I was planning a night in. Why? Am I needed?"

"No, no, no, I have those new coils you were looking for. Can I drop by with them?"

"Sure, I'll leave the front door open."

"Be there soon."

The entire brownstone smelled like dinner. From the spices in a pot, and beef cooked on a small grill between the burners. It'd become so warm Momo tied a bandana around her head to hold back the short strands and soak up any sweat. There was a knock at the door before it opened,

"Momo?"

"In the kitchen!" she called out.

The mutant walked inside. "Where do you want me to put the package?"

"On the living room table is fine." She noticed the size of it. "How many coils did you get me?"

"Oh, just a few extras for your stock. But Master Splinter wanted me to give you some tea leaves from his stash. As a thank you for the ones you gave him from Koreatown."

She smiled. "That was thoughtful of him." The slices of cooked beef were removed from the grill onto a plate. "By the way, if I'm not home and you need to drop something off, the top side window beside the tree outside has a pressure point that unlocks it. So you don't have to stay outside or worry about people seeing you come through the front door."

"Noted... and thanks." Suddenly, the scent of dinner hit his nose. "Whatever you're making smells great."

"Thanks. It's not cinnamon rolls this time, but a dish that I have managed to master. When I lived at the orphanage, I used to make this once a month for everyone. They loved it."

"Do you still make it for them on your visits?"

"On occasion if there's time to swing by."

A collection of books caught the turtle's attention on the coffee table. "What are these for?"

Momo turned around to look. "Oh, it's for one of the newest arrivals at the orphanage. She went through something very traumatic, which left her mute. All of us have been trying to get her to speak again. But in the meantime, to not make her uncomfortable, I picked up a few books on sign language. Nothing extensive. But enough to let us know if she needs anything."

"Has... has anything worked?"

"Not yet. But I'm patient. She's still settling in."

Donatello always seemed to be amazed by her efforts. To go above and beyond for others. It only further proved that all of them had been so wrong about the human when they first met.

"Are you hungry?" Momo asked. "There's more than enough if you want any."

He'd already eaten dinner at the hideout, but it had been Raphael's turn to cook tonight and even with standard American foods sometimes the turtle struggled to make anything without burning it in the process.

"I'll give it a try." Momo grabbed extra dishes and utensils for the table. "What is it?"

"Bulgogi with sundubu-jjigae and kimchi on the side. But a slight warning on the soup. I made it a bit more spicy than normal since I made it for myself."

"Never heard of those dishes before."

"They are traditional Korean dishes. A few that you'd usually see in a Korean Barbeque set up in a restaurant or a household."

"What other kinds of foods are in these barbeques?"

"I think the easier question is what isn't included in one. There are always little side dishes filled with vegetables, sauces, soups, steamed egg, pickled radish, spices, and salt. To mix and match with the wide array of meats that come to the table to be grilled. Pork. Beef. Chicken. Seafood. All kinds of cuts. And of course, soju and beer for those old enough to drink."

"That sounds delicious."

"It is. One of these days I'll have to bring over a portable grill to share the experience."

"You'd do that?" he asked.

She motioned for him to take a seat and served dinner. "Yeah, why not?"

"It's just... very generous of you. Ever since you started coming around the lair you've been doing a lot for us. Including Leo, who wasn't rolling out the welcome wagon at the beginning."

"Well, you all have decided to give me a chance. And didn't you say before that we're friends?"

"Y-Yes."

The two bowls with sundubu-jjigae were set on the table last. "Then this is how I treat friends. And I don't have many in my life. So when I find those that are worthy of such a title this is how I act around them." The young woman took a seat opposite the mutant. "Not only that, but I become fiercely protective over those I'm close with."

Donatello didn't doubt it from the way she treated the orphans after leaving the home herself. If anyone tried to wrong them in any way... he'd hate to see the outcome of that individual.

"Now then," Momo clapped her hands together. "Dig in. And tell me what you think. I always enjoy feedback."

She began to use the chopsticks to pick up the pieces of beef and slices of kimchi. Meanwhile, Donatello went for the long spoon. A small amount of the soup was scooped from the bowl to be cooled down. The smell of its spices filled his nose and he very carefully took a sip. Instant flavor. The heat followed soon after. His tongue burned a bit from the unknown taste. It went down the throat and up through the nostrils. Yet none of these sensations were terrible.

"I guess it's a good sign that you're not running for the faucet to put out any fires," Momo commented.

"My taste buds are confused," he said. "But it's good. I just don't know what to make of it."

"Many have the same reaction the first time they try a new cuisine that they haven't been exposed to. Kimchi has a bite to it too."

With every mouthful Donatello took he couldn't help but indulge. The turtle even tried the kimchi and bulgogi together at the human's request. Neither of them talked about anything of importance. The purple turtle became so wrapped up in the food it distracted him from any topic related to their work or patrol. Momo gave a small smile at his laid back manner.

There were very few leftovers when their bellies became full. The young woman began to gather up the plates to start the dishes. Donatello stood so quickly the chair nearly fell over.

"I can do that!" he exclaimed.

The outburst caused the thief to jump slightly with a start. "Huh?"

"I can clean up."

"It's not a problem–"

"You cooked dinner." Donatello took the dishes from her hands. "I'll clean up."

Momo stared at him a moment before giving a nod. She sat back down at the table "Maybe I should have you drop by for dinner more often," the human commented. "I've always hated cleaning up."

"Really?" Donatello asked from the sink. "Everything you do is so neat. Master Splinter comments on how organized my work space is now."

The young woman snickered. "I'm so clean and organized in order to prevent a further mess to clean up."

He laughed in response.