Chapter 34

Finally, the sun began to go down, and Momo sat ready to go. All she had to do was wait for the reporter to return home. Dinner waited on the counter, the dishes washed and put away, while the thief finished off her own bowl of food with a black and white film playing on the television set. Eventually, a key slid into the lock. After a bit of fiddling, the door opened.

"Finally," April announced when she entered. "It felt like the day would never end."

"It looked like you had a busy day of work on the TV," Momo commented. She muted the television.

"So many 'reported sightings' that amounted to nothing. Vern and I were in and out of the office all day. Where do you need help before we head out?"

"Oh, none needed. You have a meeting with the head of security at TCRI in about two hours. That gives you enough time to shower and prepare questions. I've also already scoped out the security system, pretty high-tech stuff. But I expected nothing less. Also, there's dinner for you in the kitchen."

April tugged off the cloth that covered the bowl to keep the contents warm. "Let me get this straight. You managed to research TCRI, set up an interview, scoped out the securities in place, and made dinner?"

Momo shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. "I'm a woman of many talents."

The reporter took a bite of the bibimbap and groaned from the taste. "I think I'm in love."

The thief snickered. "Unfortunately, neither of us swing that way."

"If only," she teased. "Otherwise, I'd ask you to marry me right here and now. But you're welcome to move in any time."

The thief rolled her eyes playfully. "Go take a shower and then we'll head out."

"Yes, Mom."

Momo snickered from the comment.

April was ready nearly an hour later. She paired a white tank top and blue jeans alongside a dark mustard yellow jacket. "How do I look?" the reporter wondered.

"Business casual. Perfect." Momo herself wore black high waist skinny jeans, a leather jacket, and a maroon crop top. "Ready?"

The reporter nodded. "How did you even get the interview?"

"I pretended to be your assistant and expressed that you were looking to interview various members of TRCI to do a piece for STEM," the young woman answered. "A look inside working for Baxter Stockman since his company ranks so high on the Forbes list."

"That's brilliant. I can definitely work with that."

It only took a short bus ride and a two-block walk to get to their destination. By now it had grown dark out, most of the interior lights of the building turned off since they arrived after hours. But there appeared to still be quite a few workers active towards the top floors.

"Ready?" April asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be. Though I have to admit that this is a bit odd going through the front door without some kind of cover."

The reporter laughed. "First time for everything."

The front lobby sat empty. There wasn't even any sign of security at the front desk. The clock on the wall showed they were on time though. Momo glanced down the halls. To search for the head of security on his way.

"Hey, Manny, you there?" a voice came over the radio. The fact that the two found the device on the desk was a bit concerning. Guards were supposed to keep it on them at all times. Even when in the restroom. "Manny? I swear, if you've gone on a smoke break..." the man on the other end continued to rant to his MIA worker.