Chapter 12

The aftermath of the altercation against Shredder reared its ugly the next morning. It had been some time since Momo experienced bruises and aches such as this. The worst feeling came from the ribs when the man tried to crush her against the spire. Epsom salt baths, ice packs, heating pads, pain medication, and hot tea were the best remedies. And lying flat on the couch. She couldn't remember the last time she relaxed in such a way, television turned on. Life had already been so busy, even with the time off Zihao instructed she took. Just the thought of her client made the young woman wonder when he'd return. News of Shredder's arrest was bound to reach China. She refused to say anything about her involvement. After all, that was a personal matter.

At some point in the afternoon, the thief stopped paying attention to the news report that shifted to the weather. Her mind wandered. To the brothers, of all people... turtles... mutants... ninjas? Whatever they referred to themselves as. She wondered how all of them held up when they woke up after the fight. If the rat called Splinter was on the road to recovery. How they'd manage to repair the damage to the hideout. It wasn't like the turtles could call a repair company to make it all better. And to make sure that no underground crews found their lair, the group needed to work quickly.

A small part of Momo wondered... if there was any way to help. Or if they'd accept it. Maybe Donatello would. He was generous enough to show her the way out. And Michelangelo. His light hearted personality seemed to hold no ill will towards anyone. However, Leo and Raph, they'd be difficult to crack if the offer presented itself. The young woman didn't blame any hostility they displayed though. Their track record wasn't stellar. Probably best to keep a distance. Besides, Momo had confidence in Donatello. The self-taught inventor of the group. As one herself, she knew he'd come up with new and improved ways to build on their home under the city streets. They'd pick themselves up.

Then there was the other human that had been involved. The one in the yellow jacket she had tried to pull up onto the spire.

"They actually used to be my pets," she had said.

The declaration seemed so far-fetched it was impossible to imagine the four brothers in miniature pet form. But with everything that went down, their chance meeting in the alleyway, why not add that information to the mix? They came from somewhere. Donatello said something about mutagen. The very substance that the gem absorbed, wanted by the Foot Clan. The young woman in the yellow jacket suddenly appeared on screen to give a news report about the incident in Times Square. Her name displayed at the bottom: April O'Neil.

"The civilian, who was taken to the Presbyterian Hospital, after sustaining a gunshot wound, is in stable condition tonight," she reported. "After a four-hour surgery, doctors were able to prepare any damage and he's on the road to recovery. Now conscious, it's still unclear why he was in Sacks' building at the time of the attack, but there is reason to believe he was attempting to stop the attack..."

Momo's brows pinched. There had been a civilian in the building as well? She never ran into one on the way to the roof. Who was April talking about? No name as to who this victim was. At least not until the reporter got an exclusive interview. However, Momo was impatient. She couldn't wait for the evening news to discover new information. Who was the unnamed man? The young woman pulled herself from the couch with a bit of difficulty. At one point a groan escaped when she tried to move too fast.

"So annoying," the young woman muttered under her breath.

She bypassed the laptop on the kitchen counter. Momo moved to the second floor and through the door at the opposite end of the hall. A screw in a rectangle cover on the wall, that looked as if it had once been a light switch, pushed in to unlatch the object. It rotated to the right. Underneath sat a dark piece of glass. A thumb pressed against the surface causing a dim glow to light up beneath the pad. The door became unlocked and opened just a bit. This was her workroom.