Part Eight

How fascinating to witness the withered leaves fall delicately as the sudden swish drifted midair. She attentively listens to the city noise which gives her peculiar vibes. The old buildings that are tainted with graffiti complement the outlandish place right outside where they live!

Distinct echoes of the city...

A sweet curve of beam traces her pale face, imagining their moments earlier. But, what are they really? Her brow twitches as she flips another page of the book trying to figure out the label they have.

Yes, she's aware they're engaged but they aren't dating for real. It's just, this set-up is dry and more like a force one. Or perhaps, she's the only one thinking that way?

The fact that she rejected him when he asked for her hand is mind triggering! Maybe she's confused? She closes her eyes trying her best not to scream. She just realized she missed the moment! Ugh!

"Baka!" She whispered.

If she could just turn the time back then she would definitely say yes! Suddenly, her phone revealed Kushina's name on the screen.

Perhaps the reason why she rejected him is the fact that Naruto isn't deeply into her, and this engagement is the only reason why they remain seeing each other or probably because their parents were on good terms.

"Kushina san?" She finally picks up the call.

"Tadaima." He toned unalive as always.

"Darling! You're home." Kushina exclaimed, excited to see her son once more. "Your dad and I need to go abro―"

"You're leaving." He cuts her off, anxious for he knew what she'll say next. The scene became heavy and Minato can feel the tension among them.

"Darling..."

"Go ahead. Leave me again." He curves a sarcastic laugh adding, "That's where you're good at, right?"

"Naruto!" It was his father trying his best to understand what he felt.

But...

Can they truly empathize? Do they know how painful it is for a child to be left alone? To be abandoned? To be cast aside?

"If you're thinking we're leaving you just because we like how it is then you're wrong." He explained calmly as he could. Yes, he's aware they are accountable for his pain too.

"Darling...our job requires us to go overseas." The red-haired explains. She approaches her son but every step weight heavy. "We're doing this for you―"

"Why?"

Kushina was taken aback, unsettled. "W-What do you mean, why?" She asks as her tears threaten to fall. "We talk about this right, Naruto?"

"Please leave. I don't wanna hurt both of you." He exclaimed, lifeless. "Take care of yourself." He added hiding his crumpled face.

Silence

The red-haired look back to where her husband is and both is ashamed of everything. They are devastated as to how Naruto responded earlier. Defeated, they watch him walk inside her room, slamming the door, telling them he isn't fine.

"I'll call Hinata..." She said hoping for an uncertain.

Meanwhile, the man remains silent for he knew, this set-up is f*ck up. When will Naruto realize they do this for him―for them. Because honestly, it hurts seeing him react like this. Yes, it's always the parents' sacrifice being neglected the most.