Chapter 21 : Rest

The room was filled with soft light, the walls were green and silver, and the roof was gold.

Many Elves were sitting there. Celeborn and Galadriel sat side by side in two armchairs placed against the tree trunk under the canopy of a lively branch.

They stood up to welcome their guests, in the manner of the Elves, even though they were reputed to be powerful monarchs. They were very tall, serious and beautiful. They were entirely dressed in white, and the Lady's hair was dark gold, and Lord Celeborn's hair was long and shiny and silver. There was no sign of age in them, but the intensity of their gaze indicated their long life.

Haldir invited Frodo to approach them.

Lord Celeborn welcomed them in Elvish.

Lady Galadriel said nothing but watched the arrivals attentively.

-Now take a seat next to my armchair, County Frodo, said Celeborn in the common language. When everyone has come, we will talk together.

He courteously greeted each of the companions by name as they entered.

-Welcome, Aragorn son of Arathorn! he said. Thirty-eight years have passed since you came to this land from the outside world, and these years weigh heavily upon you. But the end is near, for good or ill. Leave your burden here for a while! Welcome, son of Thranduil! It is too seldom that those of my race come here from the North.

He turned to Elenwë and said:

-Welcome, my dear Elenwë, you are here as our daughter, you who bear the name we have chosen for you.

He stood up and invited Elenwë to come closer. She, at first hesitant, came and placed herself in the Lord's outstretched arms. Lady Galadriel also stood up and hugged the young elf.

-Im gelir ceni ad lin, Wen Galadriel, Hir Celeborn. (I am happy to see you again, Lady Galadriel, Lord Celeborn)

Celeborn beckoned Elenwë to come and take his place between Galadriel and Legolas.

Then he continued:

-Welcome, Gimli son of Gloin. It is certainly a long time since we saw one of Durin's in Caras Galadhron. But today we have broken our long-established law. May this event mark the proximity of better days, despite the dark hours that the world is currently experiencing, and a renewal of friendship between our two peoples.

Gimli bowed deeply.

When all the guests were seated in front of his armchair, the Lord looked at them again:

-I see nine of them here," he said. I see nine here," he said. "He had to leave ten, that's what the messages said. But perhaps there has been some change of which I have not been informed. Elrond is far away, the darkness is gathering around us, and all this year the shadows have grown longer.

-No, there has been no change," said Lady Galadriel, speaking for the first time. Gandalf the Grey has gone with the Company, but he has not crossed the borders of this country. Now tell us where he is, for I would very much like to speak with him again.

-Alas! Said Aragorn. Gandalf the Grey has fallen into the shadows. He has remained in Moria, and has not come out again.

At these words, all the Elves in the hall uttered great cries of sorrow and astonishment.

-This is a disastrous news, said Celeborn, the most fateful news that has been announced here for many years full of painful events.

He turned to Haldir:

-Why was I not told of this before? he asked him in the Elvish language.

-We haven't told Haldir about our actions or our plans," said Legolas. At first we were tired and danger was too close, and then we almost forgot our grief for a while as we elatedly followed the beautiful paths of the Lorien.

-But our grief is great, and our loss irreparable," said Frodo. Gandalf was our guide, and he led us through Moria, and when we had lost all hope of salvation, he saved us, and fell.

-Now tell us the whole story! Said Celeborn.

Aragorn then told all that had happened at the Caradhras Pass and in the following days, and he spoke of Balin and his book, of the fight in the Chamber, of the fire, of the narrow bridge, and of the coming of terror.

-An evil of the Ancient World, it seemed to me, such as I have never seen before, said Aragorn. It was at the same time a shadow and a flame, powerful and terrible.

-He was a Balrog of Morgoth, known as Legolas, of all the plagues of the Elves, the most deadly, except for the one that sits in the Dark Tower.

He looked at his neighbour, Elenwë, who had turned pale and seemed to have collapsed.

He shook her hand furtively and she smiled quickly.

-In truth, I saw on the bridge what haunts our worst nightmares, the Scourge of Durin," said Gimli in a low voice, and fear could be seen in his eyes.

-Alas! said Celeborn. We have long feared there would be such terror under Caradhras. It seems that in the end Gandalf had fallen from wisdom into madness, by surrendering unnecessarily to Moria.

-None of Gandalf's choices were in vain. Says Galadriel. It is inconsiderate to say this. No one could foresee what was to come.

Lady Galadriel looked attentively at each person in the Community. Aragorn, Legolas and Elenwë were no more affected than that, while the others looked away quite promptly.

Finally, Lady Galadriel freed them from her gaze, and she smiled.

-Don't let your hearts be troubled," she says. Tonight you will sleep in peace.

Then they sighed and suddenly felt weary, like people who would have undergone a long and careful interrogation, although no words had been spoken openly.

-Go now, said Celeborn. You are overwhelmed by sorrow and great labour. Even if your quest did not concern us closely, you would have a refuge in this city until you are healed and refreshed. You will now rest, and we will not talk for a while about your future path.

They went down, preceded by two elves, charged with showing them where they would sleep, except for Elenwë who stayed with the couple.