4

I stared at her in fear, anxiety paralyzing my senses

I stared at her in fear, anxiety paralyzing my senses. The actions unraveled at my sight as if in a movie, Zara walked on the road ferociously typing on the phone, a frown creasing her forehead. I dropped my things in the restaurant and ran outside like a maniac, ignoring Harry's scream.

I tried to pass the line from the other side of the road, struggling to run fast, I saw a car speedily hit her and drove away in a blink. I was late, guilt swelled up on me. I crouched to the angelic girl, lying in her blood. People came rushing from all sides, I waited for the guy from the foreseeing to come and save her.

Harry engulfed me in a hug, I sobbed to his shirt, "we need to call the ambulance," he hastily said and took his phone out.

I searched for the stranger amidst the crowd, trying to find some hope. I stared at my best friend, blood oozed from Zara's head, Harry took my handkerchief out and pressed on the wound to stop the blood flow, while I only stayed numb by Zara's side with a tear-streaked face.

The ambulance arrived after few minutes but the stranger from my foreseeing was not among the crowd nor was he in this street. We rushed Zara to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital, rushed inside, admitted her, and waited for her parents to show up to Harry's call.

Harry stayed by my side despite all the arguments, this would shatter our secret relationship but I guess this wasn't the right time to think about us. Doctors passed by now and then, I tried to speak with them, trying to get any information about my best friend's state, although I knew she would be alright, seeing her like that, ruggedly and lifeless, lying on her blood, drained the daylight out of me.

Despair, fear, and panic settled in my senses, Harry brought us some coffee and few pastries, I refused it. Eating seemed hypocritical with my best friend struggling for her life, just a few feet away.

It took hours for the doctor to come out of the operation theatre, I hurried to him and begged "tell us something please, is she okay? Can we go see her?"

He looked at me and Harry, with hesitancy he uttered the dreaded news "she's gone, I'm sorry."

"What do you mean she is gone? She is supposed to be alright!" I screamed in disbelief.

"We tried our best miss but she lost too much blood by the time she arrived, we are so sorry for your loss," he stated carefully, pity clear in his voice, he nodded at Harry in acknowledgment and walked away.

My world stopped spinning so was I, after a moment of complete stillness, the lobby started spiraling, slowly at first, increasing its speed with time. Dark engulfed me in a torturous embrace, I could feel the echoes reaching throughout my senses she's gone, she's gone, she's gone...

I clasped my ears shut tightly, violently shaking my head to come out of its reaching echoes. The black faded away, subsiding into a light grey only to return with full force after a minute and I sensed falling into it.