Chapter 12: Team Awesome: Maruca

Hi people who are reading this! Just a heads up this is probably going to be a shorter chapter because Maruca is kind of hard to write. All right, to the short short chapter!

Maruca stared at her feet. She was itching to make a force field, but that would probably cause a lot of staring and pictures and yelling among the humans. Speaking of humans, while staring her feet while walking, she accidentally banged into a woman with brown hair, brown eyes, and a rather tired expression.

"Sorry," Maruca mumbled while Dex stopped to wait for her. "Didn't see you." 

The woman started to walk away, but Dex shouted, "Wait!"

She turned.

"Was Ethan Benedict Wright II your husband?" Dex asked.

"What are you doing?" Tam hissed when he had stopped to wait for them. Dex waved him away.

The woman nodded slowly. "He was before..." Dex practically slapped his hand over his mouth.

"Just a moment ma'am." he said, dragging Maruca and Tam away into a huddle.

"Her deceased husband is the person Keefe delivered that message too for his mom in the erased memory!" Dex whispered frantically. They gasped.

"How do you know?" Tam whisper-asked.

"I saw her daughters face in the obituaries and the resemblance is striking!" Dex replied. They turned around slowly.

"Um... ma'am we're private investigators looking into the death of your husband," Maruca said cautiously. "Can we ask you some questions?" 

The woman looked surprised. "Sure? I'll take you to my flat so you can look around and we can talk on the cab ride there," she said. "And you can call me Margaret." The elves shared a look.

"Ok... Margaret," Tam said, jumping when Ro tapped him on the shoulder. "Just a second." They were pulled back into huddle.

"How am I going to fit into a cab?!" Ro asked/yelled.

"Um... you could run alongside the car thing?" Maruca offered. Ro scowled.

"Fine." They returned to where the very confused Margaret Wright was standing.

"Ready!" Dex said, flash his dimples. Maruca and Tam followed his lead and give her huge smiles. Ms. Wright took a step back and hailed a cab. When the driver started the engine, every elf in the taxi gripped the sides of their seat as they went through intersections, turns and potholes.

"So tell me a little this investigation of yours." Ms. Wright said, twisting around in her seat to face them.

"Um, well, we thought we saw something unusual in the traffic cam feed, and a friend of ours delivered a message to your husband once, so has anyone unusual ever come to talk to your husband?" Dex asked, yelping when they went over a speed bump.

"Well, this was actually pretty recently, but some boy came by a few weeks ago knelt down to put a piece of paper near a one of the trees in front of my building. I went down to look after he had left but there wasn't anything there but some drawing of a frog thing so he must've just been some street artist," she replied. "You're welcome to check if you'd like."

The elves shared a look.

"We will, thanks," Tam said. "That's actually the kind of stuff we were looking for."

The cab came to a halt and the group of elves stumbled out in a daze, squinting at the sunlight. They fanned out, checking all the trees there. Ms. Wright watched, fidgeting.

"The tree he drew on is over there," she said, pointing to a nearby willow tree. "Do you need me anymore or..."

"No, it's fine." Maruca replied, hurrying over to the willow tree with the rest of the group. Ms. Wright walked inside. The elves shared a look of excitement.

"He must've picked this tree because it looks a little like Calla's Panakes." Tam thought out loud.

"Ten lusters say that the 'frog thing' is a gulon." Dex exclaimed. As Maruca brushed away the fallen leaves on a knot on the trunk to reveal the sign of the gulon, she felt excitement bubble up inside of her. Maruca felt around to find that the knot was fake and there was a small dent that someone could use to lift it up. The group looked at each other with faces of joy. Then, she opened the hatch.

-Well, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be. I think that's my longest chapter. Anyway, Daisy-----> out

P.S. My friend requested that I write a chapter with bodyguard's POV so the next chapter will be Sandor's POV