Chapter four

My hammock gets shaken up which wakes me up. I open my eyes and see Newt hanging over my head. "Wake up love, you're gonna start your first job today." He says. I get up and put on my shoes. I follow him to the kitchen, get a plate and sit down.

"How are you doing?" Minho asks smiling softly. I look at him with a tired expression and sigh.

"Amazing, now what is the first job I'll try out?" I ask looking at Newt who's stuffing himself full with bacon.

"You, my friend, are going to make those hands dirty with Winston." Newt says raising an eyebrow. I look over to Winston and realize that means slaughtering animals. I immediately shake my head.

"No! No I can't slaughter animals." I say worried. If I do, I will never forgive myself.

"Just try, it's one day and tomorrow we'll find something else, just try to not end up with the med-jacks." Thomas says.

We finish breakfast and I wander behind Winston to the barn. We get inside and he explains the basics of killing those poor little animals. "So you just take one of those knifes and cut the head off while I hold the pig still." He says.

I see someone else do it and puke. Winston drags me out of there and calls for Clint to check on me. Alby, Newt, Clint and even Gally arrived. "What happened?" Newt asks worried.

"She puked up her breakfast after seeing a pig getting slaughtered." Winston explains.

"I guess your not gonna be a slicer huh." Alby says. Clint smiles at me when he's done checking on me. "Well you can hang out with Frypan for now." Alby says before leaving. I walk up to the kitchens.

I burst through the door which startles Frypan for a moment. "Wow Summer, weren't you suppose to help the slicers?" He asks smiling.

"Yes, that was before I puked. Now I'm assigned to help you." I reply. He chuckles while shaking his head.

"I know it's messy in there but no one has actually puked. Anyway, let's make the soup ready together." Frypan says pointing to the vegetables.

We start cutting the vegetables together and making the soup slowly. "You're amazingly good at this Sum, you might as well help me everyday from now on. It would give both of us some extra free time because with two of us it goes obviously faster." Frypan says.

"I would love to help you everyday. It's actually a lot of fun." I reply. "Fry? How long have you guys been here?" I ask softly.

"Three years." He sighs. I look at him worried. "But, Minho and Thomas still try to find a way out of here so, no worries." He says.

Someone knocks on the door and we look at it to see Alby. "How's it going?" He asks smiling while inhaling the special smell of vegetables soup.

"Actually, no one has been this clean and fast yet, she could help me everyday if we want some more food." Frypan says which makes me proud.

"Good, would you like that Summer?" Alby asks. I immediately nod. "Alright, we have a new cook then, congrats." Alby says before leaving. Frypan gives me a high five.

It's time for lunch and we serve it. He gives me a plate and I sit down with Chuck and Newt. "Wow Summer this is delicious!" Newt says eating it.

"Oh wow yes! What did you do different?" Chuck asks smiling.

"I think Frypan usually puts less tomatoes in there and I did more." I reply. They look at me smiling.

"Guess you're a cook now huh?" Newt asks. I nod and we all continue eating. I got a lot of compliments and after lunch I get all the plates back to the kitchen and we start washing the dishes.

"It was a brilliant idea to put more tomatoes in there, people really enjoyed your meal." Frypan says.

"Fry, it's our meal. We both made it." I reply which makes him smile. We finish the dishes and brainstorm for dinner. "What about pizza?" I ask.

"You know how to make that?" Frypan asks smiling.
I nod. "Pizza it is, we haven't had that like ever!" He says. We start baking a lot of pizza's and the smell of it fills the glade. We have a lot of fun messing around with the toppings.

It's getting late and we finish the last pizza right before the walls close which is our sign that we have to serve it. We tell everyone to sit down and we bring the pizza's to the tables. "Pizza?" We hear boys ask excitedly.

I sit down as well and everyone starts eating. "Wow Summer, cooking is your specialty isn't it?" Minho asks happily.

We finish dinner laughing and talking, I get all the dirty dishes and help Frypan to wash them. "Sum, thank you for making pizza's with me." He says.

"Thanks for listening to me, and being my friend." I reply. He hugs me shortly and we finish the dishes. Everyone goes to sit around. I walk around smiling at everyone. I get to a tree and climb to the top.

I get to look out over half the glade and start humming to singing another song. I didn't realize people listened.

You can't stop the girl from going
You can't stop the world from knowing
The truth will set you free, oh
You can't stop the girl from going
You can't stop the world from knowing
The truth will set you free, oh
You can't stop the girl

They tryna take our voices
They tryna make our choices
So we scream loud, loud, loud
And, oh, I know you feel the lightnin'
And it's so excitin'
So, here we come

You can't stop the girl from going
You can't stop the world from knowing
The truth will set you free, oh
You can't stop the girl from going
You can't stop the world from knowing
The truth will set you free, oh