|XVIII|

"Robby, Asher. This is Demetri. Sam, you should already know that this is Demetri, from school." Scout said and Asher's face had turned serious again.

"This one of the kids that you went into the crap-shoot for defending?" He asked and Demetri winced at the term for Juvie.

"Demetri, meet Asher." Scout said calmly, giving no indication that she had heard what Asher had said only a mere moment before. Demetri nods a little bit, as Scout jerked her head a bit at Asher, who follows her quickly into the front of Miyagi-Do.

"What the hell, Ash?" She asked quietly and he looked at her, raising his eyebrows at her. "Look, you are my best friend, all right? But you can't talk to my other friends like that." She said and he looked at her, nodding at her words.

"You know that I never meant it like..." She nodded at his words and he sighed. "Three years in Juvie and half a year on probation. Livin' on the streets... I guess I don't really know all of what civilized people call 'normal' anymore." He admitted, shoving both of his hands into his pockets.

"Hey, come on. Let's go together and explain to Demetri, exactly why it was that you said, what you did. Yeah?" He nodded, and she held out her hand to him. He looked at it, then back up at her as if questioning whether she was actually serious. He took her hand as they both walked back inside.

"Hey, Demetri." Scout said and Demetri looked up at his name being called, and she jerked her head a little bit in their direction. He walked over and Asher looked at him, with a small sigh.

"I just wanted to say, that I'm really sorry, about that stuff that I said a few minutes before. I wasn't really thinkin at all... I hope you understand the sort of feeling?" Asher was giving the good sort of apology, even, if he sounds like a fish that is totally out of water while doing it. Asher stuck out his hand a bit to Demetri, who smiled a little bit.

"I understand." Demetri said and he moved his hand out to shake Asher's and he spotted another tattoo on the outside of Asher's forearm, just barely peeking out from under his shirt. "You have that man's tattoo!" He shouted in shock, and Scout looked more closely at the tattoo, not recognizing it at all.

"It's not what it looks like..." Demetri scoffs at Asher's attempts to shut him up.

"You're lying to us! Are you spying on us too? Are you?!" He demands and at the moment Asher's eyes, they were a clear expression of hurt, and it all was beyond painful.

"Demetri, stop it!" Scout shouted as she saw the pain in her friend's eyes and Demetri shakes his head.

"NO! I won't stop it! He has the same tattoo as the person who gave me the nose stitches did!" Demetri cried out, and Asher picked up his jacket and he pulled it on over his shoulders, as the Serpent settled on his back.

"I am not my father." Asher whispered and Demetri's eyes widened at his words.

"I will never be the one to be unleashing my inner snake. Because of who I am inside. I am a Serpent not a Cobra. I have been taught the ways of the snake, yes I have been trained in brutal ways by people. But I refuse to ever let myself become my father."

He said and Demetri looked somewhat worried now. "My full name is Asher Johnathan Kreese. I am the son of John Kreese, the Sensei that presumably punched you." He said and as Scout looked between her two friends, she was deeply unsure of just what was coming at them now.

"Well, as long as you don't act like him." Demetri decided, and Scout's face was totally relieved, as she smiles at them both.

"Don't worry. I don't act like him, I know better." Asher said and looked at Scout, who smirked slightly and she held out her right fist with a slight bit of a raised eyebrow at him. He smirks and bumped it with his own... just before he pushed her into the pond.

"Asher!" Scout shouted, sputtering water all over the two, as she waded back out of the pond.

"Sorry, here." Asher said and he held out his arm over to her, and she nods as she accepted it... only to yank him down into the water. "Hey!" He shouts and she shot out of the water, busting out in laughing tears.