#18 Farm and Family

For a moment there is silence. And then there is the pit pattering of feet on stairs and clangs in the kitchen. I jump at the sound and Natasha puts a hand on my shoulder. Three people come into the room at the same time. Two children: a boy and a little girl jump into Clint's arms with screams of "Daddy!" And a woman stands off in the doorway, approaching Clint to kiss him as he puts the kids down.

He murmurs something softly to her that I can't hear and the woman turns to look at me.

"Kids, Laura." Says Clint, looking at me. "This is Katya, and she'll be staying with me and Auntie Nat for a while."

"Auntie Nat!" The little girl runs over to Natasha and bounces around her. Natasha steps away from me a little bit and picks the girl up in her arms.

Clint motions me over and I stand next to him. Laura and the boy are standing close together.

"Hello Katya." Says Laura warmly. But her eyes give off a different message. She's wary of me. As is the boy.

"Katya, we call her Katya as a nickname," Clint turns to explain to his wife and son and then turns back to me. "This is Laura and Cooper."

"Hello." I say. Cooper looks down at the ground, he seems to be a couple of years younger than me.

Natasha brings the girl over. "I'm Lila!" The little girl wiggles and Natasha puts her down.

Laura and Natasha embrace as the little girl approaches me.

"How do you know Daddy and Auntie Nat?" Lila asks me, wide eyed. She's cute, she looks to be about six or seven years old.

"I uh, I live with Natasha in the Avengers place, at their work." I say, looking to Clint. He nods approvingly.

"She's our friend." Clint squats and taps Lila on the nose, she squeals.

"Where's my little man?" Asks Clint.

"Nathaniel is laying down right now for a nap." Says Laura.

"Aw, bummer." Says Clint. He looks at his watch then looks back up at Laura. She shrugs her shoulders.

"How do you feel?" Natasha whispers to me.

"It's different but it's okay." I whisper back.

"Nat and Katya, you want to put everything in your room? You still want to sleep together right?" Asks Laura.

"Yes." Says Natasha.

I just nod furiously.

Laura leads us down the hallway into a spare room where there's an empty queen bed. A couple of pictures with the family on them and Natasha sit on the dresser.

"Thanks." I tell Laura.

"Tell me if you need anything." She says to the both of us and exits.

I approach the pictures.

"This is the room I usually stay in when I come over here." Natasha notices me studying the decor.

She sits down on the bed. I look around the room, in the drawers and the closet, the bathroom.

We unpack a little bit, I set my toothbrush and things in the bathroom and leave my bag at the foot of the bed.

"Ready to go back down?" Asks Natasha.

"Yeah." I say.

Just then, there's a knock on the door.

"Come in." Natasha perks her head up.