Cupid's Arrow - 01.

Dedicated to @Xaharau for being there with me through this from when we started our writing prompts. <3

***

My eyes scanned through the menu and I squinted to see the varieties of food this restaurant had to offer. The words were all blurry and I felt like my eyes were going to fall out any second from now. I could make out the black ink and one image of fries with a topping I couldn't quite make out. Why were the characters so tiny? Eventually, I sighed, passing the menu over to my boyfriend, Evan. He chuckled and took the menu from where I'd dropped it, picking out an order and calling the waiter to come attend to us.

"I told you to take your glasses, Sam." Evan prompted, his cheeks turning crimson. He was trying so not to blurt out a very childish I told you so to me. After all, he'd been right once again. I still couldn't see, I needed glasses.

About a week ago I'd gotten my glasses as my optician had recommended. It was only then I realized that everything my parents said was true; I couldn't stay twenty-four hours looking at my screen like it was pepperoni pizza. It wasn't that my glasses were hideous, no, I thought they fit me just fine, it was just that I hadn't adjusted to wearing them often. I thought that I wouldn't need them and I could see perfectly fine, but I was wrong.

"I don't need them," I insisted, crossing my arms over my chest. "I just didn't feel like picking out a meal by myself. I wanted you to surprise me." I lied smoothly.

Evan's ears perked up, looking at me with keen interest. I realized I'd made a mistake by asking him to order for me. "I can order anything and you'll have it?" He asked, leaning across the table.

"No, order something I actually like." I said quickly, not wanting to have any piece of fish on my fifth date with Evan. There was something about fish that I just didn't like.

He sighed, picking the menu up once more. "Would you like pasta?" He asked, flipping the page. "There's fries too, you can have them with steak." He opted, giving one of his infamous breath-taking smiles.

I nodded, closing my eyes and opening them after a while, then I looked out to the parking lot where I knew his car was parked. I squinted again to try and get a clearer image, but it was still the same blurry look. The cars were blurred together and they all looked the same, except for the different colors.

"I'll have the pasta, thank you."

After Evan had complained that no one was attending to us, a waiter finally came by and took our orders. Evan went with his second option (fries with a side of steak) and I went with pasta and meatballs. He even had tequila to drink, too. Just a glass, he was my ride home. He couldn't get drunk, or even smell of alcohol. Emily would not approve.

We had our lunch and Evan drove me home with as much as a hug to go with. When he didn't give me a kiss, I was a bit thrown off but I didn't let it bother me. He was never the type to show affection anyway; I'd walked into it when I accepted this relationship with him. He'd even gone and organized a cute little lunch date for the two of us; that was more than enough affection on his side.

I opened the main door to my house and hung my coat on the stand along with all the others. It was around late January and it was a little chilly in Jacksonville. I walked around my house with a Rolling Stones T-shirt, leggings and socks. I strolled over to the living room where I could see my little sister, Emily lying on the carpet with her phone in hand. She wasn't little anymore, but she was still my little sister.

Emily was always the social one in our family. She was the . . . light, one could say. She was always calling up people to find out the latest gossip going around our school and in the town, too. She always had to be updated no matter what the circumstances were.