Part 24

The urge to slump to the floor and break down was overpowering, but I couldn't show my devastation

The urge to slump to the floor and break down was overpowering, but I couldn't show my devastation. I bit back a sob, turning to face Jason who was ashen-faced and obviously suffering, but still managing to maintain that disdainful sneer that was always evident whenever he looked at me. It made me feel small and worthless and I hated it. I never used to feel that way, but recently my inner strength seemed to be dissipating.

"You actually let him go?" Jason said hoarsely. "How could you, you stupid bitch!"

His voice was coming back but I could tell it pained him to speak. He lurched towards me on unsteady feet.

"I just saved your life!" I spat back at him. "Don't make me regret it!"

It was my instinct to back away but I stood my ground, trying to project a strength that I didn't feel. I felt wrung out, bone-weary, like every last bit of fight had been sucked out of me. An empty husk that might be borne away on the slightest breeze.

Jason came to a stop just a few inches from me, close enough so that when he leant over the sour warmth of his breath washed over me as he spat out his words.

"You expect me to be grateful huh? None of this would have happened if you'd just done your fucking job..."

He tailed off, gripping his throat, huge wracking coughs bursting from him. Droplets of saliva hit my face but I stood, unflinching, not wanting to give him the satisfaction that he was unnerving me by invading my personal space the way that he was.

He carried on with his rant, his face twisted in contempt. "But no... you'd rather sneak around and get fucked... just like the... dirty... little... whore... that you are."

He punctuated his insults with sharp jabs into my chest with an accusing finger.

And what could I say? I knew that pretty soon everyone in my orbit would be thinking the exact same thing. They'd talk and they'd gossip, they'd drag my name through the mud, dissecting my history, rummaging through my broken parts to find out what went wrong. How could a girl with such a bright future throw it all away?

I turned away from Jason, not wanting him to see the tears that had sprung into my eyes.

"Let's just get this over with," I sighed. "You can call Paul, I'm not going to deny anything. I know it's all over."

A repulsive rasping laugh burst from Jason which made my blood run cold. "Oh, it's not over, not yet. See there's something that you can do for me first."

Dread sank in my gut at his words, the sickening awareness that Jason wasn't the moral, law-abiding citizen that he liked to portray to others. There was a vicious, dark side to him, sadistic, one which relished seeing me broken like this. One who would certainly take advantage of his new found power over me. One who I may have easily forgiven Van for if he'd squeezed the life right out of him in front of my eyes.