Part 13

It felt like the world had stopped turning

It felt like the world had stopped turning. I stood in fearful disbelief, not wanting to accept my fate but unable to see a way out.

Van stood there with a casual stance like he was completely unaffected by my presence. And why would he be? The courageous force that had come over me had started to slip away the moment I heard his voice. Much as I was trying to desperately cling on to a shred of it, it was still slipping now. Pretty soon there would be nothing left.

Van sighed like he was exasperated with me, like he was scolding a naughty child. "Lyla... don't make me have to tell you again." Then his eyes flashed dangerously as he emphasised each word, sharp and precise. "DROP. IT. NOW!"

And just like that my gun slid from my fingers on to the carpet with a thud. I heard a gleeful snigger coming from behind but I ignored it. I couldn't look anywhere else except at Van. He was dressed like the other party goers in an immaculate tuxedo suit, and he cut quite the handsome figure. The thought occurred to me that in another life he probably would have stolen hearts, rather than stopped them from beating.

"Just get it over with then," I said, my voice quiet with a bitter tone.

"What's the rush?" I heard the voice from behind me. "Maybe we can have a little fun first, hey sweetheart?"

I didn't have to look to imagine the lascivious sneer on the piece of shit who stood behind me. I shuddered. Van just lifted his gaze to look at him briefly, then it was back to me, completely impassive.

So this was going to be it? Was he just going to hand me over like an unwanted possession? I couldn't control the surge of dismay that crashed over me, and with it the realisation of the ridiculous notion that I'd thought that maybe there was some kind of connection between the two of us.

He ignored the comments from behind me, sighing again, reaching into the inside pocket of his suit jacket. "How many times I gotta tell you? How many times I gotta tell you not to come after me?"

I stayed quiet, watched fearfully as he pulled out a silencer and began screwing it on to the end of the pistol. He took his time, eyes locked on me whilst he did it. I swallowed, hard, as he brought the gun around to point at me once again.

A grunt of disapproval came from the other man as he chuntered to himself. "Ah man... what a waste..."

I thought I saw a flicker of something cross Van's features, but I couldn't be sure. Tears stung my eyes and I tried to blink them away.

"You know what the drill is... on your knees."

I considered resisting, but what was the point? I quickly sank down on to my knees. At least if Van was going to end my life here and now it would be a small mercy that the creep behind me wouldn't get his filthy murderous hands on me. I heard him now, that repulsive chuckle again. "Who's giving the orders now bitch?"