Part 23

"Put your hands where I can see them!" Jason's voice boomed out with furious urgency

He stood framed in the doorway, a foreboding figure, a portent of disaster, and my heart practically stopped. His arms were outstretched in front of him, braced and gripping his handgun which was trained right on Van.

"That means you too Lyla!"

I ignored Jason's command, stooping down to hurriedly pick up my coat to cover my near-nakedness, slipping into it and fastening it tightly around myself.

"Jason... what..."

"Show me your fucking hands... NOW!"

I raised my hands shakily, looking over at Van who was standing a foot away from me. In contrast to my trembling form he stood, feet slightly apart, hands raised but lackadaisically so, a casual stance. I studied his features, marvelling at his self-possessed demeanour, the hint of a mocking smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. But his eyes... if he was calm waters then they raged with a storm.

"You..." he addressed Jason stonily. "I should have killed you that night in the car park."

A flicker of confusion crossed Jason's face. How was he to know that Van was there that night when he was threatening me? It was quickly replaced with a sneer. "Well too bad you didn't you evil prick. You missed your chance."

Then he looked at me, his eyes dark and full of scorn and malice. "This is fucking perfect. I knew I'd find something... but this..." He shook his head slowly, deliberately, whilst shame stained my cheeks. "Paul is gonna love this... everyone is..."

Van took a step forward, cutting Jason off in his tracks. "I suggest you put the gun down." Then he added, threat deepening his voice. "If you know what's good for you."

Jason was stilled, and I thought for a moment he was actually considering complying, but then a throaty laugh burst from him. "I don't think you're in any position to make demands, do you?"

Jason's eyes darted swiftly around the room, taking in any potential threats, alighting on the rifle lying on the desk right at the far end of the room, then moving down to the knife which was resting at my feet on the floor.

"Kick it over here," he barked, and I did as I was ordered, my head spinning with thoughts, feeling sick to the stomach at being caught and the fear of what might happen to Van.

"How did you know I was here?" I managed, my throat tight, nauseous fear restricting it.

Jason bent down to grab the knife with his free hand, quickly sliding it into the inside pocket of his jacket. His eyes moved swiftly between me and Van, feverish, nervous-looking despite his outward show of confidence.

"You're not as clever as you thought," he scoffed. "Your little story of not finding out anything from Simon didn't wash with me. See... I don't trust you... I never did... and I was right not to. I put a tracker on your car yesterday afternoon at work. You led me right here."