Part 29

My blood ran cold at the sight of the man who stood before me in my hotel room

My blood ran cold at the sight of the man who stood before me in my hotel room. He had chiselled, angular features and a jutting brow that gave his eyes a sunken look, but even so, they glittered with a wild kind of insanity that told me that this confrontation could end very badly for me if I let my guard down even for a second.

"What do you want?" I said, my eyes darting to the bag on the bed where my handgun was, trying to calculate whether I could make a lunge for it before he could plunge the deadly looking six inch blade that he was brandishing into me.

"I think you know the answer to that darlin'," he sneered. "You see you've been causing a lot of problems. Sticking that nose of yours where it's not wanted. You and that fucking McCann..."

Van's name was expelled from his lips like he was spitting out a poison and he lurched forwards, jabbing the knife into the air between us, letting out a brittle laugh when I whimpered and stumbled backwards.

Get a fucking grip Lyla, this guy looks wired. You can take him out easily. Just keep your cool.

"Who sent you?" I said, keeping my voice low to hide the tremor. My heartbeat thumped against my chest with such vigour that it made me feel breathless.

The man just laughed, spittle flying from his mouth, a thick rope of it hanging from his stubbled chin. "You ask too many questions. I'm the one asking the questions... Now I wanna know everything. Starting with where McCann's hiding out."

I inched towards the bed, keeping my eyes on my assailant, hoping he wouldn't notice my slight movement. I was so close...

"I don't know where he is. Why would I? I've been searching for him too."

Another throaty laugh burst from the man, and this time he actually threw his head back in amusement. I saw my chance and seized it, darting forward as fast as I could, hand outstretched towards the open bag, delving inside and rummaging for the feel of the cool metal.

My fingertips nudged the grip of the gun, but before they could close around it the man was upon me, flinging his body on to mine with such force that I sprawled on to my back on the bed. He wasn't huge but nevertheless his body weight pinned me down, one of his hands latching firmly around my neck whilst the other waved the knife perilously close to my face.

"Don't think they don't know what you and McCann are up to," he jeered at me, bringing the tip of his blade to only an inch from my eye. "I wonder if he'll still want you when I've carved up this pretty little face of yours, eh?"

The adrenaline was rushing through my veins now like liquid fire, igniting my muscles into action. I writhed beneath the man, trying to get leverage, my right hand flailing at the bedside cabinet, searching for something I might use as a weapon. My fingers touched something hard and smooth and I grasped at it, realising as my grip curled around the cylindrical object that I was holding the bedside lamp.