Chapter eighteen

Tobias POV

I wake up the next morning with a grin on my face. I can't believe I did that. I've never kissed anyone. I've never even really thought about kissing until Tris, really.
But then a thought strikes me, and the grin is suddenly replaced with a frown, and a feeling of horror. I can't feel this way. It's too dangerous. I'm going to have to kill her.
How could I have been so stupid? I really like her, and I think she probably likes me, but we can't be together.
It'll just complicate everything too much.

I chew on my lip. Maybe I should wait and see if she comes to talk to me. There's no point doing anything about it because she might have decided it meant nothing.

Tris POV

The next day, I can barely keep the smile off my face. I've liked Four for quite a while now, and finally something happened.
Christina comes over to me, her eyebrow raised. "Why you so quiet?" she asks. I chew on my lip, pondering whether I should tell her or not. She is my best friend, but she's not very good at keeping secrets. But I know she wants Four and I to get together, because she did set us up. Maybe it's not so bad to tell her after all. "Um...well...Four and I may or may not have...you know...kissed yesterday..." Christina squeals and jumps up and down, clapping her hands. 
"I KNEW IT! I KNEW YOU LIKED HIM! Was it because we set you guys up?"
"No. Most definitely not."
"Awwww man. Well, you guys had fun. Anyway, GIVE ME DETAILS! WHERE DID YOU KISS? WHY DID YOU KISS? WHAT HAPPENED?!" She says all of this quickly and rather loudly.
"Okay, first, shut up. Second, no."
"Whyyyyy? I wanna knowwww," she whines. "Come on, Trissy. Be a girl for once."
"I'm always a girl," I say, confused.
"Ugh! You know what I mean! Like a silly annoying girl!"
I decide I'd better tell her. She won't let it drop otherwise. "Kay," I say, imitating her, twizzling my hair around a finger. 
"Okay...tell me EVERYTHANG!" 
"Well... I saw him while I was on a walk and wanted to know where he was going because I wanted to talk to him. He went to this river place and I sat next to him on a log- which startled him- and then we got in a teeny tiny argument,, and then kissed I guess." I tell her this edited version of the story because I don't think Four would be happy if I told her that he cried. 
She claps her hands together again, and I flinch at the sudden loud noise. "Eeeeeek! So romantic! It's almost like an enemies to lovers trope!"
"I- what? We were never enemies."
"Ya, I know, that's why I said almost. Ya know, coz you argued then kissed...anyway. Are you..." she winks, "dating...?"
I sigh. "Well, we only kissed. I don't know."
"Well do something about it!"
"What?"
She rolls her eyes like it's obvious- which it probably is. "Ask him. Duh."
"But what if he says no?"
"Then at least you won't be left wondering. Don't be a pansycake."
"Did you just use Uriah's word?"
"Yup! Now go! And tell me how it turns out."

****

I stand outside Four's dorm, taking deep breaths. "Don't be a pansycake. Just do it already. It's not that hard," I mutter to myself. I shake my hands and before I can psych myself out anymore, I knock on the door. 

I hear someone stumbling across to the door, and a small splat, followed by the cry of "OW!" before Will answers. 
"Oh, hi Tris. Uriah fell over," he says. I peer over Will's shoulder and laugh at the sight of Uriah laying flat on his stomach. 
"IT'S NOT FUNNY!" he calls, standing up and dusting himself off. 
"Oh yes it is!" I call back.
Will grins and chuckles. "Oh, sorry. Did you need something?"
"Oh-um- I was just wondering whether I could talk to Four..."
Uriah and Zeke run over. "YOU WANT TO TALK TO FOUR? SHE WANTS TO TALK TO FOUR! IT WORKED! OH MY PANSYCAKE, IT WORKED!"
I wait while they finish. "You done?" 
They smirk. 
"Er...did someone call my name?" I hear Four say, amused.
"Trissy is here to see you," Zeke says.
"Don't call me Trissy, Ezekiel," I say to him. He scowls. 
"Oh, um, okay," Four says. 
"Have fuuun," Uriah sings, winking at Four, who rolls his eyes. He steps out and closes the door behind him. 
"Um...they'll probably be listening in," Four says, awkwardly. I nod, and he leads me down the hall. 
"I um- I need to ask you something," I say, my cheeks burning. Why is this so awkward? 
He nods.
"Ummm...well...I just wondered...um...whatarewe," I say, in a rush. Smooth, Tris. Smooth. 
"S-sorry?" he stutters.
"I-um- I just wanted to ask if we were- or could- you know- um..." I trail off, and I see him grin, before he smashes his lips against mine, and this kiss is just as good as the first one, maybe even better. He wraps his arms around me, and I wrap mine around him.
"Only if you want to," he murmurs.  
"I do," I say quietly, looking into his beautiful blue eyes. 
He smiles, and we stand there for a while, wrapped in each other's arms. 

Tobias POV

It's for the good of the mission. It is. It is. I keep repeating this lie in my head, but I can't convince myself. I don't know what possessed me to say yes to her. How am I meant to complete this darn mission now? Am I even going to complete it? Was I ever planning to complete it? I'm not sure. I've never wanted to do it, but I don't have a choice.
Do I?
"Well hello there, Four." I jump and whip around. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice anyone or anything. Eric stands there and a scowl clouds over my face. Can't this guy just leave me alone?
"What?" I snap.
"You need to learn some manners," he sneers.
I roll my eyes. "I reserve the use of manners for people I like, thank you very much."
"Ugh. Always so mean. You know, with manners like those, you're gonna end up with no friends. Why, you might even get a...beating...one day. You know what I mean?"
I stare up at him. "N-no..."
He claps me on the back. The force of it shoves me forwards a couple of steps. I glare at him- I don't like to be shoved around. "Oh, you didn't like that? But...aren't you used to being shoved to the ground?"
"I-I don't know what you mean," I say, but I have a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach.
He laughs. "Oh, Four. I'm sure you do understand. Or you will. Anyway, cheerio!" and with that, he walks off, leaving me standing there staring after him.
Something isn't quite right...