Chapter one

Tobias POV (five years later)

I clutch my bag as I walk up to the entrance of the school. I haven't been to a proper school since I was ten, and I'm so nervous. I've been doing my education at Dauntless for the past five years, taught by a woman named Lauren. 
I've always felt so lonely in the Dauntless compound. Most of the people are loud and rowdy, but I'm not so I've never really fit in. 
The Dauntless leaders know all about my past. They made me tell them everything. I was just a scared 10 year old, and I was forced to re-live my traumatic childhood. I'm ashamed to say that a lot of tears were involved while they probed the information out of me.

Lately though, I haven't been happy with Dauntless. Everyone and everything seemed okay when I first arrived, but I was a naive kid. I always had some suspicions that they weren't as brilliant as they made out they were, but I pushed those away. It was the only place I had left. But now, I have to complete this mission, and I'm not sure I want to be part of Dauntless anymore.

I reach the doors, take a deep breath, and walk through. I hesitantly walk to the receptionist. "Um, could I please have my timetable and room key and could you point me in the direction of the dorms?" I ask, trying to sound polite and civil.  
"Name?" she asks. She sounds really bored, and quite snarky. I don't like dealing with people like that. I roll my eyes.
"Four Eaton," I say. I don't really know why Dauntless decided to keep my surname. Maybe to remind me that Marcus is still my dad, and what will happen if I don't complete this mission. I shudder slightly. I don't want to think about that. That's the sort of thing they would do. Those are the sort of people they are.
A small smirk appeared on her face when I gave her my name. I know she's thinking "what kind of person would name their child after a number?" I'm sure she won't be the last one to be thinking that.
"Alright then, Four." I notice the emphasis on my name. I can't wait to get away from her. "I have your timetable and your room key. Now, I understand that your preference was to have a room alone, with no roommate?" I nod. The reason I wanted to be alone was so I didn't get too close to anyone. That would make the mission harder. That, and I still get nightmares about dad. It sounds so childish, but I unfortunately can't erase my past, no matter how badly I want to. I really don't want people to hear me screaming, muttering and, it feels shameful to admit, but also crying in my sleep. I watch the receptionist expectantly. "Unfortunately, the single dorms are already occupied so you will be sharing with three other boys," she says. I feel my heart sink. That's just great, isn't it? I'm so lucky. "Lessons resume tomorrow, so go and get settled in."
"Thank you," I say. For nothing, I add in my head. 

****

After about 10 minutes of searching, I find the room I meant to be in. It's a fairly decent sized bedroom with four beds and a TV. There is another door, which I assume leads to the bathroom. Three boys are already lounging about, talking and eating. I feel really out of place, but I'm not here to fit in or make friends. One of the boys sees me and yells "NEW KID IS HERE!" The other two turn and look at me. One is blonde with pale skin, while the other two have dark hair and tan skin. They look quite similar, so I assume they are twins. 
"Hi," the blonde one says. "I'm Will."
"I'm Uriah and this is my brother Zeke," says the guy who yelled. "What's your name?" he adds.
"Four," I reply, not wishing to say anything more. 
"You can come sit down, mate," Zeke says. "We don't bite. Well, Uriah might but I'm training him."
"Oi!" Uriah says and he smacks Zeke, who smacks him back. "Bitey bitey," Uriah says to Zeke. Will watches them, amusement and exasperation apparent on his face. I can't sit with them. I can't make friends. As much as I want to, I can't. I don't want anyone to get hurt after I've completed the mission. I know what it's like to constantly be hurt and let down by people. I don't ever want to put anyone through that. It always seemed like everyone I came in contact with rejected me, or let me down in some way. No. No one deserves that, except for me.
"Um, I'm okay. I'm just gonna...walk around so I can get used to where everything is," I say and I quickly walk out the room before they can say anything else to me.
I wander around, not really taking anything in because thoughts are racing around my head at 100 miles per hour. I don't know if I will be able to pull this mission off. I know I don't want to do it, but I must.

It's extremely dangerous to spy on the daughter of a member of the government.
It's even worse to then kill her and her family.