Chapter twenty-three

Tobias POV

I stare at my phone screen, my breathing shallow. You don't have long. Hurry up and kill them, or else. 
I grit my teeth, and turn my phone off. I don't have long. I have to kill them. Or the consequences will be severe. I chew my tongue, deep in thought. My hands shake, and my heart pounds. I don't have long. 

I chuck my phone on my bed and walk away, leaving my phone. I decide I should probably go down and meet my friends in the canteen.
I walk  over to our usual table, and they are discussing what we should do today. "Hey, Four," Marlene greets.
"Hi," I say. Uriah's face suddenly brightens.
"I'VE HAD AN IDEA!" He yells.
"Oh no, that's dangerous," Will says. We all snigger and Uriah pouts.
"We should go swimmingggggg," Uriah says.
"Do you even know how to swim?" Marlene asks, one eyebrow raised.
Uriah looks affronted. "Of course I do!"
"Okayyy...but are there any pools nearby?" Lynn asks, monotonously.
"Yeah. I think there's one we can book for an hour, so that we don't have to share it with annoying children," Christina says.
Shauna laughs. "Uriah and Zeke are annoying children."
Uriah and Zeke give her a look of mock anger. "You have insulted me horribly, baby," Zeke says, clutching his heart.
"I told you not to call me 'baby'!" Shauna exclaims. Zeke wriggles his eyebrows.
"Okay, moving swiftly forwards...I'll book it," Will says, taking his phone out. It takes a couple of minutes, and then he says "alright, done. Our slot is in an hour, so I guess go and get your stuff."

I go upstairs with the boys, grab swimming trunks, and then hesitate. The skin on my back is uneven from scars from dad and Dauntless. Sure, the cuts healed, but they left awful scars, which I don't think will ever go. I glance in my wardrobe, and then grab a thin black t-shirt to wear in the pool. 

****

We arrive at the vast pool, and immediately go into the changing rooms. We are out within three minutes. Tris stands by my side, and she places her hand in mine. "On the count of three?" she whispers. 
"You got it," I say. 
"1..."
"2..."
"THREE!" We yell together, and we jump into the pool, hitting the surface with great force. We emerge, spluttering and laughing, and there's a huge splash next to us as Uriah cannonballs into the water.
"AHHHHHH MY SWIMMING TRUNKS FELL OFF!" He yells, when he emerges. We all fall into hysterics, and take care not to look under water until he has them safely back on. I turn to Tris, and notice how gorgeous she looks in her swimming costume, and I get a sudden urge to kiss her, so I do. 
"PDA!" Uriah yells. 
"Oh, get over yourself, Uriah," Christina laughs, and she kisses Will, firmly, in front of Uriah. Uriah clutches his eyes and pretends they are burning.
We play games in the pool, but they don't last very long, and usually end with us falling about laughing. It's nice to relax and laugh, not thinking about the text I received earlier. I don't have long.

All in all, it's a really fun hour, and it's disappointing when we have to get out and change. We walk out, past a group of people about to get in. Tris and I walk in front, hand in hand. We occasionally nudge and grin at each other, and I feel my pulse increasing. 
Gosh, she's beautiful. 

****

We all sit at dinner, but Tris isn't here yet. After a few minutes, she rushes in and sits down. "What's up?" Shauna asks her.
She hesitates, and then says, "okay, well, I just got off the phone to my dad. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but it'll be in the news at some point anyway."
"And you say I can't keep a secret!" Christina protests. Tris laughs.
"Yes, but you'll find out anyhow," she says. "Basically, dad told me that they are pretty sure they know where that group of rebels, who I told you about a few months ago, hold their headquarters!" My heart pounds. Please don't be Dauntless. Please. Please.
"That's great!" I say. "W-what's the name of their group?"
"Umm...I can't remember...something beginning with D...?"
My friends look pleased, and Uriah and Zeke even whoop, but my stomach drops. And I know I have to tell Max. I don't want to, but I know I have to. 
And I'll have to go with Dauntless.
And that means I have to complete the mission. 

I plaster a smile on my face, acting like I'm pleased as well, but inside, I feel like I'm dying. A million thoughts race around my head. Kill Tris, or tell Tris?
I can't sleep at all that night. My brain just won't switch off, and I shed a few tears. In the morning, I leave the dorm to call Max. 

"Yes?" He says.
"Max," I say, slightly hoarsely. "Max, the government think they know where our headquarters is."
There's a pause, and I can hear the buzz from the other line. "How do you know this?" he asks eventually. 
"T-Tris told us yesterday at dinner. She didn't say the group name because she couldn't remember, but she said it began with D." I say this all in one breath, desperate to get it out.
"Alright. We will have to move later today." Later today?! "You have to kill them today, Four. You must. Okay?"
"Y-yes," I say.
"Good. I'm relying on you," he says, before hanging up.
I feel like I'm in a nightmare. This can't be happening. It can't be. My heart pounds and I feel bile rise up in my throat. Today? I have to do this today?  I don't think I can. I can't. I can't. I can't. 

I won't. 

My fingers shake as I scroll down my contacts list, and I know this is the right thing to do. I have to do this. Now. I click Tris's name. It rings four times before she picks up, but each ring feels like ages. It feels like my phone rang for four eternities.  
I take a deep breath. 

"Hey. We need to talk."