Episode 2 pt 4

With rhythmic beats from the wipers the only sound between them, Halt drove the patrol car as fast as he dared in the limited field of vision. As the store came into sight though, he quickly pulled up and parked, pulling out his rain slicker and motioning Treaty to hurry with his.  The rookie looked up surprised. "Why here?"

  "Because we don't want to let them know we're here, until we have to." Grimly he radioed in their position and requested backup, holstering it and nodding to the Rookie. "Ready? Keep behind me, and watch our back. We're going to scout out his position first."

 Treaty nodded his head, and together they exited the car as one man. Rainwater stung O'Carrick's cheeks, the heavier drops now mixed with smaller needle-like ones. They struggled into the wind, keeping close to the hedge that made a perfect cover. As they reached the entrance to the ally that ran parallel to the shop, Halt carefully  craned his head around the corner. A patrol bike lay grotesquely on its side, and a dark blue form sprawled just behind the saddle. Gilan.

 Just then, Halt caught movement out of the corer of the ally and noticed the little machine shed, as something moved in the broken window. A shot rang out, and it took all of his willpower to not give his position away by jerking back. 

 Gilan's still form gave no inclination of whether he was alive, hurt, or..."Gilan Davidson, move for the love of Mike!"  Almost as if the bike officer had heard his mental yell, one leg moved, curling under him as he started to raise up cautiously. Another shot made a pinging noise as it connected with a handlebar, and Gilan quickly lowered again. It was all Halt had wanted to see.

  Leaning back, he rapped Treaty briskly on the shoulder. Turning from watching the street, the Rookie listened with a taut face while Halt relayed the information gained. 

 "He's alive?" Treaty's features relaxed briefly, and Halt remembered fleetingly that this was the kid's first call with a fellow officer down. He had kept to his duty, however, and kept their backs without knowing what was happening just beyond. Halt nodded, rainwater rolling off of his hat brim as he did so.

 "We're going to use the storm to our advantage. " he said, after a roll of thunder had passed. "While they can't hear us, we'll use the yard next door and come in from behind-I had a shed like that once, there should be a door at the side. Take it nice and slow, and follow my lead."

  He started to move then hesitated. "Be careful. Above all, don't lose your head."