Episode 10 Part 1-All in a Day

"Treaty, I need you to copy this over. It's chicken scratch."

 Stifling a groan, Will swiveled to face Crowley, Chief of Police in the City of Chicago where he stood with his arms crossed and an even crosser expression on his face. At least five sheets of report paper hung between his fingers in his right hand, which he now extended toward Will.

 "Yes, sir." Taking them, Will ran quickly over the papers, then looked back at his commanding officer. "These are all Halt's reports, sir."

"Don't you think I know that," Crowley growled. "It gets worse the more he writes; I used to be able to decipher them. Guess I got used to your handwriting."

 Restraining a grin, Will replied cheerfully, "I'll get them written before he returns." 

Crowley retreated back to his office, still muttering about people with blotting pens, and Will set to work on the papers with a fresh sheet. Chewing on the end of his pen absentmindedly, he studied the description of a particular call with something unpleasant in his stomach rising. It had been one long week of aching and reports, phone calls, and officers ribbing him about his soft job at the desk. Was it possible that he was feeling jealous over missing out on the calls now? Heaving a sigh, he rested his forehead on one hand and set his mind to the task without probing that sore spot. Two more days. Two more, and he would be back on the streets. It was better than what Ed Wells had ended up with, at any rate. They'd be lucky if they saw his grinning, cocky face before Christmas. Ever one to land with a grin at the situation, the officer was making the most of his convalescence and regaled anyone who came within earshot, with another of his yarns. 

 "Hiya Will-want some coffee?" 

Jumping in spite of himself, Will crumpled the spoiled sheet of paper and tossed it into the waste basket with the others before facing Gilan Davidson. The motor cop was leaning against the desk, an amused smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

 "You don't seem awake. A man should always be awake-if not, he needs coffee to change it."

"Uh-huh." Despite himself, Will felt his frustration melt away. It was a hard day when you were annoyed by the officer Davidson. "And are you offering to pay this time?"

 "You know the rules, pal; we toss for it." The coin was in the air, caught deftly and tossed again, as Gilan waited for Will's response. It was a habit of the officers to do this, he knew. To flip a coin and see who bought the coffee for both. That, Will didn't mind. What he did mind, was for the past four days it had all landed on Gilan's side and he had bought the lanky officer enough coffee to fill the Great Lakes. As Gilan gave the nickle another toss, he reached over and caught it from spinning.

"Let me see that thing."

"Go right ahead, kiddo. You won't find any fake coin on this guy." Waiting with a hand on his hip, the officer grinned as Will examined his coin, almost going so far as to bite it but deciding better of it. 

 "Alright," Will conceded at last. "But I'm calling heads this time."

"Done. Alright, let's see who comes out on top-" Flicking the coin, Gilan slapped it on his wrist, squinted one blue eye, and announced "Tails!"

"I give up." Sliding off the chair, Will followed him to the breakroom where he paid for the coffee. Accepting his own cup he prepared to stroll back solo but the officer fell into step along with him, his long legs making it look like he was taking baby steps when compared to Will's own stride.

"How is life at the reception desk?" Gilan asked casually, taking a careful sip of his beverage. 

Will grunted non committedly, chewing on the inside of his cheek as he considered a reply.

 "I guess I should be grateful it wasn't finger printing filing, or janitor work for a week, but I think I'd go bonkers if I had to do it for any longer. 

"Many a sane man has," Gilan drawled. "You remember Ike, the card filer? Well, once he was as tough as they come-a man who protected the streets like a vigilant sherrif of the old west days. But after he recovered from a hit and run driver," Gilan continued, his gaze distant, "He spent two weeks at the desk and was never seen on the streets again."

 Shaking his head, Will heaved a sigh. This kind of ribbing was Davidson's specialty and he was finally getting used to not believing everything the officer said. "Poor man. I hope he doesn't get nervous break downs when he gets a paper cut."

 "Kid, you're a piece of alright." Gilan chuckled. "I thought it would take another month before you stopped falling for the old yarns."

 Still grinning they rounded the corner and found a gentleman waiting at the desk. He was tall, and well built even though he wore a heavy trench coat that covered him in its thick folds. A black fedora pulled low over his forehead hid much of his face, but when he turned their way his blue eyes observed both men with a calculating look that Will did not miss. It was broad daylight; the man was trying to hide himself at a police station. Why. Unconsciously, Will's hand dropped to where his pistol rode in its holster.

"Can we help you?"

"I need to speak with your commanding officer. Tell him it is urgent."

"I'm not sure that," Will began, uneasiness rising inside him, when Gilan spoke up.

"Did you change jobs, sir? Hard to recognize you under all that get-up." 

Will snapped a look at Davidson, who was standing at ease, even smiling. His words didn't make the stranger angry one bit. In fact, Will saw the blue eyes crinkle in a smile of their own.

"Well I wouldn't hope to fool you long. Glad you're on the police force, Gilan, and not on my trail." He removed the hat as he spoke, reveling golden hair that was combed neatly above a broad forehead, and a finely chiseled face. He looked like a king from one of Will's books on the Knights of the Round Table. Still not certain what was going on, he looked to the other officer for explanations.

"Will, this is Duncan. Mayor Duncan. When he isn't pretending to be a gangster, that is."

Mayor Duncan smiled at Will. "Same old Gilan. He never is at a loss for words. I'm sorry for the confusion, Officer Will, but I have been trying to keep my visits on the down-low; there are some people watching that would love to know about these." His pleasant face clouded as he finished, and he fingered the brim of his fedora absentmindedly. 

 Will felt at a loss for words. He was still processing the fact that he stood across from The Mayor Duncan, the one who had worked along with Halt to overthrow Morgarath. It didn't appear he needed to say anything however. 

"Crowley is in his office." Swinging the little door open to the lobby, Gilan let the mayor inside. Thanking him, Mayor Duncan made his way down the hall; he knew his way around for sure. Sitting down in his seat, Will tried to process what had just happened. 

 "Does he come here often?" He asked after awhile. "To see Crowley, I mean."

Gilan looked thoughtful. "Not as often as he used to. And he certainly didn't wear disguises." His finger traced the rim of his cup as he mused. "I wonder what is happening." Then Gilan shrugged. "Well, we will find out if it's anything to be worried about."

When Will remained quiet, he slapped him on the back. "Don't worry about what you can't help. The best thing to do is to keep your eyes and ears where you are right now. A sleepy officer-"

"-makes for a dead officer," Will finished one of Halt's favorite maximums along with Gilan, who grinned. 

"Right you are."

Will sighed and pulled the sheets of paper toward him again, ready to copy them for the Chief. He wouldn't be sleepy, but he had a hard time reconciled to what he was doing. Wondering and puzzling distracted him just a little from his earlier thoughts of Halt and the patrols he was missing.