Episode 7 Part 2: Dark Tidings

In the briefing room, the officers sat in silence as they watched their commanding chief shuffle his papers with a grim face. Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Will noted Gilan's expression of thoughtfulness, and Halt's closed one. He had not asked any questions after they'd left the hallway, figuring it was not the time to interrupt, but his mind buzzed with guesses that he discarded one by one. He had not much longer to wait, however, as Mack cleared his throat suddenly.

 Not that he needed to get anyone's attention, the Chief thought, noticing every eye turned on him.

 "There has been some unrest among the workers on a skyscraper in the North section of town that you boys in that area will want to keep your eye on," Mack began. "It has been rumored there might be a strike, and in that case we will need to keep the streets from becoming congested. And the workers from fighting each other," he added gravely. 

Will straightened in his seat ever so slightly. He knew this side of the city fairly well. Most of it was filled with gangs of Irish and Italians who challenged each other in their streets, or the hard lot of workers coming off from the docks. He listened so intently to Mack that he didn't notice Halt next to him was watching his interest.

"I want you boys to be careful, should that happen. No jumping into a situation half-cocked. Wait for backup, and always travel with your partner." 

Shuffling his papers again, Mack went over the names briefly of those who were unable to report for duty due to illness or injury. That seemed to be the end of his notes and he had set the paper onto his desk when he paused once more, fingering the paper weight. 

"And, as some of you have already heard, we received news of Hadley Northolt's death this morning." There was a startled murmur around the room, and he waited for it to pass before continuing. "It was ruled as accidental, so let that put a stop to the rumor mill here and now." 

Was it Will's imagination, or did Mack level a long, hard look at their table?

A hand was raised, and Mack nodded his head for the officer to speak. It was Evans who stood, his blonde head tilted to one side as he stuck his thumbs in his belt-a habit he had never been able to break. The biggest prankster of the force, outranking even Gilan's antics, he had a reputation for being something of a boaster and a show off. So when he popped his question with complete sincerity, Will knew he wasn't the only one in the room surprised.

 "Chief, isn't Northolt one of the boys who was involved in taking down Morgarath's attempt at mob ruling?"

 There was an excited buzz, as other officers began to chime in. Mack raised his hand and everyone subsided. Turning, Will looked at Halt but the officer was staring at their chief, a look of irony faintly perceptible on his face. It was the closest he ever got to a "I told you".

"He was, but that has nothing to do with this news," Mack stated firmly. "I know what you are thinking, Evans, but please refrain from theory. The unsatisfying truth of the matter is, he fell off of his boat and drowned during the storm. These things do still happen."

Evans nodded, looking abashed for once in his outgoing life. "Understood, Chief." He resumed his seat, and Mack surveyed the room challenging anyone else to dare rise and question. After a time, he straightened and dismissed them for the day's work. Catching up his hat, Will filed out and into the hallway with the others. His mind buzzed with the recent tidings.

 Riots. A suspicious death. Could it be the beginnings of something sinister? The ghost of his dream surfaced faintly, and Will found himself pondering it afresh, his brow furrowed in concentration. 

He was so deep in thought that he had made it all the way to the bay without really noticing where he was going. Looking up, he saw Halt by the patrol car, waiting on him to arrive. Flushing hotly, Will caught up with his partner just as Gilan passed them on the way to his bike. He flashed a look at Halt that was caught by the rookie. 

"Think Mack's right?" He asked shortly. "It could have been just an accident."

Halt shook his head. "I'll never believe in it. You mark my words, Northalt was killed outright."

As Gilan's face sobered, he looked to Will and then back at Halt. "Then you both had better be all the  more careful," he said slowly.

Halt's face became even more grim, if that were possible. "And you too, Gilan. I doubt he's forgotten the part  you played in it either."

  As the officers parted, Will slid into his seat, remaining silent as Halt started the car and backed them out of the bay. The day was a wet, gloomy one that did nothing to dispel the mood hanging over them. Looking out the window, Will constantly had to pull his mind back to the present and the drive, to stay alert. After an hour of driving the streets, Halt turned the wheel and followed a little side road to where a few quiet, neatly built business stood. Parking in front, he took the mike and confirmed with the station that they were taking seven. Code for a lunch break.

Glancing at his watch in surprise, Will noticed the time and looked at his partner curiously. 

Setting the parking brake, Halt grunted. "We aren't getting anywhere with all of this wool-gathering. Let's at least have some coffee for awhile."

Nodding absentmindedly, Will followed the grizzled officer as he entered the demure brick building housing a cafe. Halt had a rule that an officer could never be too careful, and should always avoid routine stops at places; but no matter how he switched things up, they always came back to this little place on a quiet backwater street at some time or another. 

Ran by a man who seemed to go back a long way with Halt, a stalwart Texan named Duke, The Redmont cafe reflected the straightforward style of his home state. Opinion was voiced freely and often at the battered tables, and if it became too heated Duke always calmed the room down with one of his witty observations in true Texan style. Will enjoyed the atmosphere and food, listening as Halt did, and watching the ebb and flow. He had a feeling that the quiet officer came here as not only a sort of haven, but as a way to feel the pulse of the city.

 There would certainly be plenty of it to feel today, the young officer thought grimly.