Episode 2-

The city was waking, as Probationer Will Treaty made his was into the brick building that held the laws of order and justice. His step was light, and his eyes alert and clear. Greeting some of the other officers that he met along the hallway a bit awkwardly, he entered the locker room and quickly changed into the blue uniform that he was beginning to feel uncomfortable without.

 A door slammed on the other side, and he knew, without being told, that it was Officer O' Carrick's. nervously he adjusted his tie again, and cinched the hat on. His partner came around at that moment, and favored him with a keen glance. "Badge is crooked." Brushing past, the man didn't seem to hear the slight sigh that came from Will's lips before he could stop himself. No matter how hard he tried, there was always something wrong with his presentation. Straightening the badge that was a solid weight on his chest, he snatched up the black leather satchel, baton, and exited to the parade ground..

 "At ease, men." Commander Crowley had gone through inspection, and stood at the end of blue clad men, flipping through his clipboard. "I have given you all new hot sheets, be on a special lookout for a beige roadster, license I3277. It was involved in a hit and run accident, on Freemont." He scanned the men who stood as though they had been carved out of blue marble, eyes straight ahead. Deep inside, Crowley felt a surge of pride. It made his voice a little softer as he added, "Dismissed."

 Halt and Will had just reached their patrol car, when a voice called out Halt's name. "Halt, halt!" Groaning, the man proceeded to stow his bag and the shotgun, as Will looked curiously behind him. "Don't satisfy his misplaced sense of humor," his partner grumbled. The gangly young man who was approaching, was dressed in blue but carried a helmet under one arm. Quickly gaining, his handsome lean face split into a grin that he tried to change into a look of hurt. "Didn't you hear me calling, Halt?"

 The other man merely leaned on the hood of the patrol car and shook his head. "Hasn't that old joke gotten dusty enough, Davidson? You say it about once every month."

 "I just feel so sorry for you when I see that grim mug of yours, I guess. Sir." he added quickly, as Halt made a threatening gesture.

 Halt sighed again. "Will, this is officer Gilan Davidson, star of the Davidson family, and meanest motorcycle cop this side of the Great Lakes. His hobbies are butchering jokes, and saving little old ladies from spiders." Gilan's grin only got broader, and he extended a hand to shake Will's. "Nice to meet you, Will. I heard O'Carrick had taken on another probationer, and had to come meet him. I claim the title of being his first."

 "Almost my last," Halt grumbled. Gilan winked. Will liked this young officer, and found himself smiling back. "Nice to meet you, sir."

 "You hear that, Halt?" Gilan's eyes opened wide, but the older man slid into the car. "Time to be going, Will." His voice held a warning note, and Will promptly dropped his baton in his nervousness. 

 "Let's take a code 7 together today, Halt" Gilan waved and Halt returned the gesture briefly in acknowledgement, before they backed out and onto the road. The silence returned to envelope them in a thick blanket, and Will found himself tapping his fingers on his leg as a reaction to it. He couldn't understand his partner, quite yet. He could banter with the best, but as soon as they hit the streets he became a whole new person. Unable to bring up a topic, he just stared out the window at the streets of Chicago, and wondered.