24. Dance, Nezuko...

*tw= blood and a bit of gore will be in this chapter

(though i'm pretty sure you know that though since you've read all the chapters so far)

Family... A father has a father's duties. A mother has a mother's duties. Parents protect their children. Older siblings protect their younger siblings. No matter what. Even at the risk of their own lives.

--

"I believe that anyone who doesn't know their duties shouldn't exist. What about you? What's your duty?" Rui asked, watching as Nezuko's eyes widened and her knees buckled. "Your duty is to give up your brother and get out of my sight. If you refuse, it's all over for you. Because you can't defeat me."

Nezuko, as terrified as she was, slowed her breath and adjusted her grip. 'Lower Moon Five. No wonder he's so powerful. He's an actual Demon Moon.' Beads of sweat rolled down her face as her eyebrows furrowed together and her stare was as sharp as ever. 'I can't cut his threads easily. And his neck is likely tougher than that... What do I do with a broken blade?'

"What an irritating gaze. It's shimmering. You stupid girl." Rui lamented. "Let me guess, you want to defeat me?" His hand raised as several threads spewed out behind her. Fwip!

"Tanjiro!" She cried as his body flew over her in slow motion and fell to the ground right in front of Rui. Her heart raced a hundred times faster than she could run, watching as Tanjiro was held down, barely able to move under Rui's hold.

"Now that I got him, do you realize what your duty is?" He held his hand out, threatening her with his threads.

"Let him go!" She cried, dodging the slices that came to her.

"I told you if you don't resist me, I'll spare your life." He said, squeezing the hold he had around Tanjiro and slashing at Nezuko who narrowly flipped back. However when she glanced back up to Rui, her brother was gone.

Drip! Splash! Red drenched her midnight blade from above, leaving droplets on its edge. Nezuko glanced up and suspended there against the moon, Tanjiro was tied up and bleeding from where the threads were wrapped.

She stared up in horror as blood oozed from his wounds and strained and pulled against the threads. "Oni-chan! Don't move!" She cried, noticing the desperate look in her brother's eyes.

"Be quiet. Something like that won't kill him because he's a demon." Rui assured but there was not one ounce of satisfaction in her. "But now I have to teach him a lesson by letting him bleed for a while. If he still doesn't cooperate, I'll let him burn up a bit at daybreak."

But Nezuko raged like a bull, charging at rui with all her might. "Let go of Tanjiro!" She yelled but a slew of threads came for her. Chipping away at her haori and making her tumble to the ground. BAM! Without any room to breathe, Nezuko was kicked into a shrub square in the chest. Only to be elbowed in the face, tumbling to the side. She just barely stood back up as blood fell from her mouth like a river.

"Do you actually think... that you can chop off my head just by getting close to me?" Rui said, walking in front of her-out-of-breath-self. "Sure. Go ahead and chop me off." He welcomed, holding his arms out wide for her to swing her blade.

Fwip! Thud! Bam! They exchanged one swing and blow after the other until... CLANK! 'What... The sword won't cut him!' She thought, pushing her blade against his neck with all her might.

Rui smirked, looking at her pathetic efforts. "See? What did I tell you? You can't defeat me." He taunted, kicking Nezuko once more like a stray dog with a loud thud and crash.