22. Battle With The Monster

A loud crash and rumble echoed in the distance from behind her ear. She turned expecting to see the heavy clusters of clouds in the dark sky but... nothing. "Inosuke, was that thunder just now?" Nezuko asked as they strolled along the river banks.

"How would I know?" He said walking ahead of her.

"It doesn't look like it's going to rain though." She said following behind the boar hyde wearing demon hunter.

"That sickening feeling is getting stronger. It's uncomfortable." She mumbled as they arrived at a line of stones that formed a path to the other side of the river. "Wait Inosuke! My gut is telling me we should go this way." She said, grabbing his shoulder and pointing her thumb in the direction of the deeper forest.

"Do whatever you want!" He snapped, getting back to the stepping stones.

"Tch. You should go down the mountain anyway, Inosuke." Nezuko replied, crossing her arms and staring at him with concern.

"Hah?"

"Go down the mountain." She insisted again.

"Why?! Just beat it!"

"But you're seriously injured." She said referring to the splatters of blood across his torso and the way he trembled with every movement he made.

"I am not injured!" Nezuko's expression was one of utter disbelief.

"Eh? Inosuke your injuries are obvious to anyone with eyes." She pleaded while Inosuke held his head high proudly in defiance.

Tmp tmp. 'A demon! How could I not detect her. My senses must've dulled thanks to that sickening weight in my guts.' Nezuko thought, glancing at the white skinned demon girl that looked about her age. Everything about this young demon was silky white. From her hair kept in four low tassels to her rugged silk kimono. The demon bore a strong resemblance to the pitiful demon lady she'd killed earlier.

They stood in a stare down with the demons and with their hands on their katanas. "RAGH! I'll cut her in half! You damn demon! Don't you run!" Inosuke yelled chasing after her as the girl turned to the trees.

"Father!" She called, clearing away the river banks.

"Hah? Father?"

SPLASH! The water erupted in all directions, splashing the rocks Inosuke stood upon. And right before her eyes ascended the terrifyingly muscular, multi-eyed, horn covered demon, or the girl's so-called 'Father'.  Stay away from my family!" It roared, punching the rock Inosuke was perched on as Nezuko watched in horror.

"Breath of Water: Second Form!" She leapt into the air as the demon pulled his arm back, ready to get another blow at her friend. "Water Wheel!" She yelled, tumbling in the air, pushing her blade down on the demonic arm with all the force she could muster.

"Crap! It won't pierce the skin!" Nezuko hung in the air, struggling to free her obsidian colored blade.

It growled fiercely, swinging its other arm to knock her instead. When... CLANK! Inosuke's jagged edged blades struck down on the impending blow, though just barely getting halfway through cutting the arm off. "Why is his skin so tough!" Inosuke yelled, shaking more viciously than before. It was a battle of strength and time. Who could push through first. Who could decapitate the other faster. They pushed and pushed with all their might only be sent flying meters away.

"Even my breaths couldn't pierce his flesh. What do I do now?" Nezuko said, landing on a rock as the shallow currents passed by.

"Stay away! Stay away from my family!" The demon thrashed and growled, charging once more at the slayer and obliterating the rock as she leapt to the river banks.