23. It's All Fake

Nezuko fumbled in the air, high above the treetops. Her eyes squinted from the dust and her hair tangled and danced all over the place. "Breath of Water. Second Form..." She mumbled out as the earth below drew closer and closer, flipping her body forward. "Water Wheel-oomph!" Facing a sudden stop due to a convenient tree that stood in her way, a wince escaped her mouth. But the soreness that came from the landing didn't bother her at all. Nezuko was simply thankful her limbs were intact.

    Catching her breath, she leaned against the trunk when a scream ripped through the air. Nezuko's eyes went wide, glancing in the direction it came from.

    "I beg you. Please stop!" The tone was shrill and fearful, then more sobs followed soon. Whatever was going on, Nezuko had to check it out. Walking a few paces before hiding behind some bushes to observe the scene.

'Demons... ' Both were as silky white as the lady she'd slain earlier. One boy, that had threads weaving between his fingers and hair that caged around his face. The other a girl, kneeling before the boy, sobbing into her hands with her blood dripping from her face.

"What are you looking at? There's nothing to see here." The boy said to her, glaring at Nezuko who looked on with concern.

"H-Hey, what are you doing to that girl? Aren't you guys on the same side?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowing and thinking, 'Why would you harm someone that's there to help you?'

"On the same side?" The boy pulled on the threads he held, looking down at the girl. "Don't group us with that kind of fragile relationship. We are a family. There's a strong bond between us. Not to mention," Neuko's eyes moved to the girl who sat quietly, staring at the floor. "This is my problem with my Onee-san. If you butt in, I'll cut you into pieces." The boy's voice was now colder than before, as he glared at Nezuko, daring her to take one step closer.

"T-This isn't right. If you guys have a strong bond with each other, family or comrade, you're equally precious to each other. Just because there isn't a blood relation doesn't mean it's a fragile one!" Nezuko proclaimed, Zenitsu and Inosuke entering her mind, along with Urokodaki and Old Man Saburo. "If the both of you share a strong bond, I would've sensed the trust you have. But I don't! There's only fear and hatred."

Nezuko rose to her feet, gripping her katana tighter. "I know what a bond is like. A younger sibling doesn't treat their Onee-san like that! What I see before me is a fake! It's forced!" 

The demon siblings gasped at her bold words, anger teaming at their faces. "You..."

Tmp tmp tmp tmp. "Oh? It seems that there's a demon of just the right size here. Even I can handle a kid demon like this." Nezuko turned to the trees to see a demon hunter proudly approaching them.

"Sir, wait a minute-" She warned, but he held his blade up, cutting her off with a scoff.

"You better step aside. I want to take the safe route up the ladder. As long as you can move up, the rewards given by our superior will increase too. Almost all the members from my squad are dead." He continued. "But who cares, I need to defeat a decent-sized demon before I leave the mountain. Come on!" The hunter yelled, running towards the boy demon.

But before Nezuko could even cry out to stop him, the hunter fell to the ground, diced up like onions on a chopping board. 'He did that instantly! What was that?' Nezuko thought in horror.

"So, what did you say?" The demon boy said, his eyes darkening as they turned to face each other. "You... what did you say?" He asked again, filling the air with a suffocating sensation that made her knees quiver and the grip on her sword falter. The air felt heavy and cold, like Atlas holding the world on his shoulders.